canned apple pie filling recipe?

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've read both here and on BYC about canning apple pie filling. This sounds great, but my Ball Blue Book doesn't have a recipe for this. Can someone please post their recipe, and also, can this be water bath canned, or does it need a pressure canner?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made canned apple pie filling for the first time this year. this link will get you directly to the page with the recipe I used.
http://canningusa.com/IfICanYouCan/PieFillingApple.htm
Sadly, I used a two quart jar and was unable to process it like they wanted. So I went out on a limb and did it in my oven. I think it turned out pretty good. I do know now that I can turn my oven up to 250deg without breaking the canning jar. :)
Good luck

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you roosmom! This looks perfect. Very innovative idea with the 2 quart jar! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I take the easy route on apples. I am cooking in the oven and then freezing in individual bags. Just pop out of the fridge, thaw, warm and use how you like.

I ain't in the mood to can apples this year. Freezing is a faster option for me I guess...getting lazy in my old age..LOL

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I've said it in other posts, lol...I'm up to my ears in apples! lol...I've made all kinds of 'stuff'...I would like to make pie filling,as I plan on making my own pie crust....anyone got a tried and true recipe for that? lol(ok, I'm greedy, I want filling recipes, AND crust ones...I need more coffee) :caf

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FARMERCHICK (in a sad lecturing tone) what if the electricity goes out? :p
Pioneergirl, I, also wanted that. Couldnt find one, let me know if you do.
Annmarie, I came to the conclusion about two things during this particluar canning session.
all the cutting, paring, quartering, coring is exactly why I do not make homeade apple pies.
If I am going to do all the apples I might as well make one fresh and eat it. But as soon as I had that thought, I answered myself.

What if the electricity did go out, and what if I didnt have a root cellar? LOL

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Ok, this got me digging around for a pie crust recipe....about 4 years ago, all of the family members (in law's side) were asked to submit a recipe. Some gave their own, others gave some that were passed down from "Grandma", aka "Mother"....evidently this woman was an excellent cook, and nobody in the family could match anything she made. It was all by hand, and as Beekissed said "a pinch of this and a dash of that" was often the case.

Anyway, I found in this compelation cookbook, a crust recipe from "Mother"....I'll try it today!

3 C Flour
1 C Crisco
1/2 C ice water
1 Tbs vinegar (added to water)

Thats it....nothing more, lol except the line "this was especially good when baked in one of Mother's pie pans! "

ETA: I found this...I think if you made it, then canned it (boil bath for about 10-15 min) it should be good to go.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/applepie.htm

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Here's a recipe: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/can_pie/apple_filling.html

This website is full of info on canning and freezing with USDA approved recipes. Just a note: oven canning and using 2 qt. (1/2 gallon) jars for anything but juice is not recommended under current USDA guidelines. Just because a jar seals does not make it safe!

If you are interested in learning more about canning and food preservation there is a free online course: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/#

I also highly recommend the Master Food Preserver class offered by many extension services (I took it last summer). It is a great class and I learned a lot! It is similar to the Master Gardener Program but for food preservation and safety.

I don't mean to lecture, but I don't want to see anyone get sick!;)

Vikki

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've made this. It's sweeter and thicker than I would ideally prefer, but then my tastes run more to just plain nekkid apples so if you like the type of apple pie that you buy you will like this. (And I don't *dislike* this, it's just not my favorite, you know?)

Apple Pie Filling To Can

4 1/2 c sugar (less if you want less sweet)
1 c cornstarch (or less if you want less-thick syrup)
2 tsp cinnamon (I use more)
1/4 tsp nutmeg (I use lots more)
1 tsp salt
10 c water
3 Tbsp lemon juice
6-7 lbs apples, prepared as for pie

Heat up your canning jars -- IIRC this recipe makes about 6 qts for me but it depends how you pack your apples, etc. I suggest using quart jars. Get water bath boiling.

Mix first 6 ingredients in LARGE pot, stir to remove lumps in cornstarch (helps to start w/cold water), bring to boil, and boil (stirring frequently) until it is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.

Pack the raw apple pieces firmly into HOT jars with 1" headspace, then pour syrup in to 1/2" headspace, using a chopstick or similar thing to poke and prod and get the bubbles out, which is a big nuisance if you've made the syrup as thick as the recipe calls for. Wipe rims, put on lids finger-tight, put in boiling waterbath and return covered to boil.

Process 20 min for quarts.

--

Frankly, when the Spy apples 'come in' at the local orchard next week, I am just going to plain-ol' can them, in a very light unthickened syrup, and try using THAT for pie. It will be simpler and I think I'll prolly like it better... I can spice and thicken (with tapioca)when I put it into pie crusts.

Pat

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just used this recipe to make pear pie filling and have used it in the past for apple pie filling and it turned out great.

10-12 lbs fruit (apples, pears peaches)

1 cup quick cooking tapioca

1 1/2 cups sugar

3/4 cups lemon juice

4 cups sugar

water

Prepare fruit. Treat for darkening if desired.

Combine tapioca, 1 1/2 cups sugar, lemon juice, and just enough water to moisten through. Set aside.

Put fruit in large pot with 4 cups sugar and just enough water to prevent sticking and scorching.

Heat to 190 degrees F (just under boiling) stirring frequently.

Add tapioca mixture and reheat to 190 degrees. Do not boil.

Pour into clean hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Seal.

Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes.

Yeild: About 6 qts.