canned meat

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
canned meat for the first time EVER..first time to can anything...ground meat/ got aprox. one pint per pound...will definately do it again...taste wonderful...for a meal all I have to do is heat rice or potatoes + veggie or salad = meal...so many uses...fully cooked..

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, it's a good thing to know how to do, and a great thing to have on hand in the pantry for easy meals :)

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have some roosters past their prime I plan on canning. It's a great way to preserve and use any normally tough meat. If you have canned stew meat, chunky canned carrots, and potatoes, you can make a real quick stew! I also make a "mock salmon" using suckers. I even would get fair ribbons with that one!
Canning meat is a great skill to have! Congrats!;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I want to try canning beef this year, since the price is about to go up next year, and I have a hog to put in the freezer.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations! You might also want to look down in the recipes section - there are lots of posts about canning, both meat and other things. As well as discussions about other ways of preserving food - drying, fermenting, etc.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats!!! Tackling meat for your first time canning is great. Now all the water bath stuff will seem like a piece of cake!!

g