Canned water

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
So, I had a brainstorm, and please forgive me if this is already a normal thing to do in advance LOL!

Our freezers are generally to full to freeze water, and just storing it in plastic bottles holds no appeal to me.
Got to thinking yesterday, and again at 4am this morning (as I filled water jugs after the power went out) that I should just can some water.

I just boiled water in a stockpot, and then ladeled it into clean quart jars.
Added the lids, and now they are cooling and sealing!

I have two gallons done up, and plan on doing a bunch more.

We do not have to worry about the animals. We have snow in the winter and the creek in the summer.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I read one lady's blog (no idea who, now) where she regularly does this as she empties her jars. It's her way of making sure her jars stay clean and ready to use, and ensures a water supply in an emergency!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whenever I have glass bottles of any type I just make sure they are super clean, fill them up with water, cap them, and store them in the pantry. Our tap water tests good, though I use a Brita filter because it smalls of chlorine - so I use the filtered water to fill the bottles, and pour it back through the filter again when I use it. I date the bottles, and use the water, and refill after, at most, a year. When I have a liquor bottle emptied I don't wash it, I just fill it up with water, and figure that the last 3 drops in there will help with keeping it good :D. Perhaps I should consider using the canning jars too.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Unless you are "canning" the water just to make sure your jars stay clean, or you have some type of impurity in your water that requires boiling, it is probably a waste of energy and time.

Good clean tap water or well water will store fine without boiling. Also, boiling removes the oxygen from the water and gives it a flat taste. To make water taste better after boiling, make sure the container has some air space and then shake it well. This will add some O2 back into the water.

Clean water stored out of sunlight, should be fine for up to twenty four months. Although it's best to start with a six month rotation schedule and experiment with longer storage times, while checking for bacterial growth.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i have nothing to add.. but:

hi k0xxx! where ya been?

:)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
i have nothing to add.. but:

hi k0xxx! where ya been?

Hi ya OFG! :frow

I had a persistent bout of Bronchial Pneumonia, but I'm feeling MUCH better now. I made a couple of posts over the last few weeks, but mostly just read and followed along. It's nice to feel better for the Holidays!

:D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh NO! sorry buddy - i had the bad bronchitis over the summer and know how frustrating it is..

keep warm and have a merry merry!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Whenever I have glass bottles of any type I just make sure they are super clean, fill them up with water, cap them, and store them in the pantry. Our tap water tests good, though I use a Brita filter because it smells of chlorine - so I use the filtered water to fill the bottles, and pour it back through the filter again when I use it. I date the bottles, and use the water, and refill after, at most, a year. When I have a liquor bottle emptied I don't wash it, I just fill it up with water, and figure that the last 3 drops in there will help with keeping it good :D. Perhaps I should consider using the canning jars too.
You know that if you take a nice big glass pitcher of water and put it in the fridge for about 24 hours with a loose fitting cap/top the chlorine will evaporate out of it and it will taste much better.
I hated living in the city where you had to "treat" your water or the fish in the fish tank would die! Who wants to drink that kinda stuff:th Sure if you grew up drinking city water I suppose you get used to it, but still--some cities have water that tastes and smells like they pumped it out of the YMCA's swimming pool.. lol
Back in the family house now and we have the best drinking well water ever! But the stuff is hard like a rock--just glad it doesn't leave bruises when I shower!;)