Canning and processing question

kmc1111

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I recently started home preserving with a friend. We made salsa and pickled okra. We processed and sealed the salsa and they have been sealed for over 24hours. I just realized that we forgot to add the vinegar to the recipe. Does this mean the salsa will not preserve? Does it need to be refrigerated? Is it safe to add the vinegar at this point and reprocess the salsa? Any suggestions you have would be so helpful.

Thanks so much,

Kim

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's really entirely up to you. I grew up on waterbath canned venison, no acid added, and never even had a bout with belly issues. PERSONALLY, I'd let them go and just use them as if you had added the vinegar, but that's just me.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
I'd just refrigerate them and just use them up fast.
X's 2 I would refrigerate them, most modern tomatoes do not have enough acid to be safe on their own, especially adding in the peppers, onions, etc.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
I'd just refrigerate them and just use them up fast.
X's 2 I would refrigerate them, most modern tomatoes do not have enough acid to be safe on their own, especially adding in the peppers, onions, etc.
The real danger is the low-acid veggies in the recipe rather than the tomatoes. Tomatoes on their own can be borderline if they are a variety that's not acid enough, but adding other low-acid veggies definitely puts you into the danger zone.

I'd ditto the above about refrigerating. If you have too many jars to use up quickly, just reprocess and then you have shelf stable jars that you know were prepared according to a tested recipe :)

kmc1111

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone,

Your replies are super helpful. We will likely just try and use them up. Moolie, do you think it's okay to reprocess even if it's been over 24 hours since they've been processed?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kmc1111 said:
Thanks Everyone,

Your replies are super helpful. We will likely just try and use them up. Moolie, do you think it's okay to reprocess even if it's been over 24 hours since they've been processed?
Definitely :)

I always leave my jars undisturbed on the counter top for 12-24 hours before verifying the seal, and have never had a problem with reprocessing after that time. Just dump the contents into a large pot, add the vinegar and anything else you may have missed the first time around, heat through, then pop into clean jars/seal/process again :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
moolie said:
kmc1111 said:
Thanks Everyone,

Definitely :)

I always leave my jars undisturbed on the counter top for 12-24 hours before verifying the seal, and have never had a problem with reprocessing after that time. Just dump the contents into a large pot, add the vinegar and anything else you may have missed the first time around, heat through, then pop into clean jars/seal/process again :)
This is what I would do as well. It's totally salvageable IMO.

kmc1111

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks again, we have decided to reprocess.