canning applesauce

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last night I put up 9 pt of applesauce using the water bath method. I filled the jars with HOT apple bits to the first rib, which is about 1" headspace. No problems. None at all. It's terribly convenient to not have sticky bits of apple everywhere. Cleanup was easy.

However, I noticed that some applesauces are runnier than others. I had to add several pt of water to the gallon of apple pulp to get it to the right consistency. Come to think of it, the thicker the sauce, the worse it blorts and splatters as you warm it up. Maybe it does the same thing in the jar, but messes up the seal instead of spattering on the backsplash. Has anyone else noticed differences between apples?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Last night I put up 9 pt of applesauce using the water bath method. I filled the jars with HOT apple bits to the first rib, which is about 1" headspace. No problems. None at all. It's terribly convenient to not have sticky bits of apple everywhere. Cleanup was easy.

However, I noticed that some applesauces are runnier than others. I had to add several pt of water to the gallon of apple pulp to get it to the right consistency. Come to think of it, the thicker the sauce, the worse it blorts and splatters as you warm it up. Maybe it does the same thing in the jar, but messes up the seal instead of spattering on the backsplash. Has anyone else noticed differences between apples?
Yep there are differences between apples both varieties and even apples from the same tree! Dead ripe are different [softer] than slightly green apples. ~gd