canning bacon

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That's cool but I have to agree with Grannie Miller on this one. Didja read the comments section? I think if we are where we can do it, smoking and hanging is better preservation methods for meat.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
That's cool but I have to agree with Grannie Miller on this one. Didja read the comments section? I think if we are where we can do it, smoking and hanging is better preservation methods for meat.
I agree....

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Very interesting concept (canning bacon), and very interesting comments! I see the point of both sides, but I have to disagree with Granny. Fact is, she may have the time and resources to cook everything from scratch all the time, but many women (or men) who work full time may find it more do-able for them to can things so when they do want to make homemade meals all they need to do is reheat (or little more). What is wrong with that? Nothing. We all know that canning things is time consuming. It's not like we're popping Lean Cuisine's in the microwave. :lol:

And, I'll even argue her point that the 70's and women going back to work is what started convenience foods. Convenience foods started after WWII when the food industry convinced women they needed these shortcuts. My sister read a book called Something from the Oven: Reinventing Dinner in 1950's America , and I currently am waiting to get it from my library. It talks about the shift towards convenience foods.

Here's a review:
When World War II ended, American industry was left with overcapacity in food manufacture and preservation. Before this could be transferred to domestic use, food manufacturers had to distinguish between what a soldier needed to eat and what a family wanted to eat. Canned and frozen foods appeared in groceries, but American housewives initially rejected most of them. Marketing and modern food science soon overcame objections, television advertising spread the gospel of efficiency, and the 1950s American kitchen and diet were transformed. Shapiro delves into this period of rapid change and comes up with absorbing stories of the era's women. In addition to the familiar tales of the fictional Betty Crocker and cultural icon Julia Child, Shapiro relates the astounding stories of other mid-century foodies such as Poppy Cannon, who publicized convenience foods while falling in love with Walter White, influential NAACP leader, in a time still suspicious of interracial marriage. She also tells of Freda De Knight at Ebony, who studied at the same Parisian cooking school as Julia Child and then brought French haute cuisine into the middle-class African American kitchen. Shapiro's graceful, flowing prose makes this history of both cooking and women utterly compelling. Mark Knoblauch
Copyright American Library Association. All rights reserved

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did read the comments, and I understand Granny Miller's point ... but, I feel that we have to blend the old style and the new. Convenience food might not have been heard of a couple generations back, but it's something we've become accustomed to, and if we can combine the best of both worlds (healthy for us, and convenient), then why not? :hu

And besides, not all of us are lucky enough to be able to raise our own hogs, or even buy 1/2 or a whole and process ourselves.... ;)