Canning baked beans Q.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Has anyone canned baked beans before? Can I use my own recipe? Do they turn into mush from being canned for so long? My DS has decided he likes them, so I thought it would be nice to have some canned so he can have a quick meal. But, considering they are cooked ahead of time and then pressure canned for such a long time, I am concerned they will be mush.

Talk me through it ladies :D.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I took a Boston baked beans recipe and adapted it for canning. I soaked the beans for 24 hours. I put a bit of salt pork into each jar and scooped the beans/sauce (uncooked) on top of the pork and processed as for the pork. They came out perfect!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
So, you took raw, but soaked beans, put the sauce on it with some salt pork, and canned it? I am assuming the sauce was hot?

That I can do. :)

cuz every recipe I have read says to cook the beans in the oven for min 3 1/2 hours, then can them. I had visions of goop coming out of the jar when they were done.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That's basically it, but I put the salt pork in the jars first so some wouldn't end up with none and others would have tons of salt pork. Hot pack, cold pack.....I don't worry so much, just be sure the steam vents for the full ten minutes. Hot pack makes it go so much faster, so I do that when possible. It is just not possible for certain things, like catfood or meatloaf.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
http://www.pickyourown.org/canningbakedbeans.htm
it lets you pick either molasses based or tomato based. Basically what free said with detailed instructions :D
Thanks! I keep forgetting abouthtat website. I have used it numerous times, but I always have difficulty maneuvering around ti ( the search alwasy shows no hits), so I tend not to think of it often, unless I do a detailed google search and that website pops up. I'm gonna soak the bans right now and make them tomorrow.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I personally don't care for baked beans but after 10 years of marriage I just found out last week that my husband absolutely loves them, "but my wife never makes them for me..." :he ok maybe try asking! :smack

Anyhow I know he likes the bush's baked beans at the store so anyone know a recipe that would taste similar to that? typically I just make my recipe to taste but seeing as how I don't like baked beans who knows if they taste right... LOL

Latest posts