Canning BBQ sauce...Can I?

COgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would like to can some of my homemade bbq sauce. Would I follw the same instructions for canning tomatoe sauce as far as waterbath timing and such? Thank you for any guidelines.
Kim

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would say that you only have to use the water bath for about 15 minutes. This way you have enmough heat in it to seal. Just make sure the mixture is hot.

Let me know how it turns out. I would like to try the bbq sauce myself. I will have to experiment with some sauce. :)

COgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I will let you know how it works out. I have a really good sauce recipe if your interested just let me know :).

Kim

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Please don't keep us in suspense any longer. I love a good BBQ sauce, so go ahead and post your recipe. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
if you're not using a recipe that was specifically published to be waterbath canned, you really really ought to check the pH (you can get the approx. value with a cheap litmus-strip test kit) before canning it that way. If the pH is too high (you'd have to look it up, I believe it has to be below 4 or 5, I forget exactly) then it will not be safe from botulism/spoilage even if apparently 'correctly' processed.

If you will pressure-can it, the pH doesn't matter.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
oh yeah, I'm all about some goooood bbq!! lol...we are all hanging on a 'thread' here....recipe PLEASE!!! :caf :ya

COgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been back or I would have put this up sooner. I use this as a marinade and/or a sauce it is quick, easy and GOOD. I have used it on pork, chicken and beef.

3/4 C ketchup
3/4 C maple syrup ( I have used pure and imitation both good)
1/4 C worchestershire sauce
3 T butter
3 T mustard (prepared)
1 T olive oil
2 T vinegar (white or cider)
1 t sea or kosher salt
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t course ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over med heat, reduce heat and simmer
5-10 min. Let cool

I found this recipe in my moms stuff after she passed, I don't recall her ever making it, but I'm glad I tried it. My family and friends love it. Hope ya'll enjoy it too.
I'm off to can tomatoes now :weee

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
COgirl said:
Sorry I haven't been back or I would have put this up sooner. I use this as a marinade and/or a sauce it is quick, easy and GOOD. I have used it on pork, chicken and beef.

3/4 C ketchup
3/4 C maple syrup ( I have used pure and imitation both good)
1/4 C worchestershire sauce
3 T butter
3 T mustard (prepared)
1 T olive oil
2 T vinegar (white or cider)
1 t sea or kosher salt
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t course ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over med heat, reduce heat and simmer
5-10 min. Let cool

I found this recipe in my moms stuff after she passed, I don't recall her ever making it, but I'm glad I tried it. My family and friends love it. Hope ya'll enjoy it too.
I'm off to can tomatoes now :weee
Thanks for posting. It looks yummy. I think I have some chicken in the freezer...hmmm...

Latest posts