Canning BBQ sauce question

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have any of you used commercially canned tomatoes to WB can home made BBQ sauce? Would it have an off or tinned taste? I have a whole case of organic whole toms in the bigger size cans and have found I just don't use them in our daily cooking. They were such a good deal at .50 a can I could not pass them up.
That being said I never seem to have BBQ sauce on hand. When I need it I have to take the time to make it fresh when I need it for a recipe.

What do you think?
Thanks in advance.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have recanned commercial BBQ sauce, which isn't really what you are asking I know, but it was very successful and tastes wonderful.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In addition to what Pioneergirl said, I would think whatever you used to season the BBQ sauce with would either hide or change any off taste.

I have had to use store canned tomato sauce to make & can speghetti sauce (yes I did it waterbath as I can like Bee does) and it was good. Of course it would have been better with all home canned tomatoes, but I was out.

Good luck & that's a good score!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I am going to give it a try. Now I just have to find a canning recipe close to the homemade kind I make so the family will like it.