Canning Blueberry Pie Filling

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found a recipe for blueberry pie filling i want to can in qt.jars. The recipe calls for sugar,blueberries, water, lemon juice and cornstarch..
I thought i read some where not to use cornstarch when canning. Did i misunderstand..? Has anyone here used cornstarch for canning in recipes...?
Actually the recipes said cornstarch or clear jel, i can't find clear jel locally, and don't want to order it online and wait for it. I plan on doing this Sunday morning and any store has cornstarch.
I was going to just can them in a light to med. syrup, but decided a pie filling would be more handy,if i wanted to make a pie, or some other kind of blueberry pastry...thanks...Kevin

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Duppydo, since you have access to the internet, do a search. I cannot find my canned apple pie filling recipe right this minute (no organization) and I cannot remember whether I put it in or not, sorry. But if you find a recipe online for canning with cornstarch in it, even if it is for apple pie filling, then you will have an answer. :)

I just went and searched thru my drawer cuz I felt bad and I found it. My recipe called for cornstarch, so you are ok. I think they were saying no flour or pastas, beans (un-rehydrated).

But maybe you should try to find a canning recipe for blueberry pie filling anyway, just to be safe. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Would either of you like to share your recipe? :D

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Would either of you like to share your recipe? :D
All I have is this canned apple pie filling recipe, and it is not even mine so ;) yes you can have it

316_pdr_0720.jpg

If you dont like that one, I have another one here

316_pdr_0721.jpg

:lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Thanks, roosmom! that was smart, scanning it in! no typing LOL :p

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually, I took a pic of it. Being at the computer all day and getting older is not a recipe for agile fingers, lol.

I see the second one didnt turn out, sorry.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The recipe i found was from an internet search. I found it at CanningUSA.com under making blueberry pie filling. I was just a bit confused because i thought i read cornstarch and canning were a no no, but i guess i read wrong..:)
I have webtv aka msntv which is not a computer but allows me to check out the internet. I can't get the recipes on here from there orignal source ( I know, this is primative, caveman style internet surfing) but can type out the gist of it....
To make a qt. of blueberry pie filling you'll need...
5 cups of blueberries,1/4 cup water,3 tablespoons of cornstarch, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice...
Combine all ingredents except blueberries and slowly bring to a boil, add blueberries and bring up to temperature, cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly..Can using hot pack method with 1" headspace. Process with a hot water bath at 212 degrees for 30 minutes...

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PS.....Thanks Roosmom...:)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Clearjel will give you a better result -- cornstarch can break down with all that heating and reheating and re-reheating, and give you a slightly lumpy-runny texture, whereas clearjel won't. OTOH if you are not thickening the pie filling all that much, cornstarch is likely to produce a pretty reasonable result. (Another reason not to try to produce a REALLY thick pie filling w/cornstarch is that IIRC there is some sort of concern with cornstarch lumpy-parts not necessarily heating thoroughly)

Use the cornstarch, just not huge goobers of it, and follow a modern recipe, and it should be fine, IMHO.

Have fun,

Pat