Canning Blueberry Pie Filling

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Pat...the recipe i found calls for 3 tablespoons of cornstarch per qt. of pie filling. Do you think that sounds like to much..?The apple pie filling recipe Roosmom posted uses quite a bit more cornstarch...Kevin

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Duppydo, I think the recipe I posted was for apple pie filling, I agree with patandchickens. If you stop and think about it, which I occassionally have to do lol, if you make gravy with corstarch and put to much into it, it will turn into a gelatinous mass when it cools down. Plus it does affect your flavor.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You could just can the blueberries and add the rest of the stuff for pie filling when you want to make pie. By canning the blueberries by themselves, you can use them for other recipes besides pie.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, i know your recipe was for apple pie Roosmom.:) I was just thinking that it really doesn't matter if its blueberry or apple pie filling, concerning the cornstarch. I was just noting that the recipe i found used much less cornstarch.
I relize now,that to much cornstarch will make a globby mess..sorry for the confussion...lol

Keljonma, thats what i was going to do at first, just can the blueberries. Would you do them in just water, a light syrup, or what...? Thanks...Kevin

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
DuppyDo said:
.... Keljonma, thats what i was going to do at first, just can the blueberries. Would you do them in just water, a light syrup, or what...? Thanks...Kevin
You don't add water or sugar. For 3 pint jars, you need 2 quarts of berries. This recipe is from Fannie Farmer Cookbook and is the one I use. Here is the recipe, but I will add my notes at the bottom.

Canned Blueberries

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Fill a sink or another large pot with cold water.
Have your water bath canner ready for processing.

Wash the blueberries and remove stems.
Put them into a square of cheesecloth and gather up the ends to form a bag.
Dip the berries into the boiling water for 30 seconds or until spots appear on the bag.
Immediately remove the bag of berries and dip them into cold water for 30 seconds.
Pack the berries tightly into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
Do not add sugar or liquid!
Close the jars and process in water bath, allowing 15 minutes for pint jars and 20 minutes for quart jars.
Allow the jars to cool before putting in pantry. If a jar does not properly seal, refrigerate immediately.

MY NOTES:
I don't use cheesecloth, I just use a large skimmer/strainer.
I let the berries drain slightly (a couple of seconds) after removing them from the cold water.
It is important to make sure the berries are tightly packed into the jars before processing.
The berries processed like this are perfect for pies, tea breads, muffins, pancakes, cereal and yogurt.

And the chickens like them just out of the jar.... :D

edited for spelling....

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Keljonma....i'm saving your recipe and notes. My berries were frozen and after thawing them out, they just didn't look like they could stand up to the method you shared. I will be using your way next yr with fresh picked blueberries.
I did 20 qts jars today, half pie filling and half a pancake syrup kinda thing.:) I still have about 35-40 qt. zip lock bags frozen..I had more then i relized...! I do like to keep some fresh frozen for frosty protein shakes. I'll likey make more pie filling too, as i love blueberry pie, a want to try making blueberry turnovers..
Thanks everyone for your help and advice in canning/solving my blueberry bounty...:) Kevin

Latest posts