Canning Cajeta

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Being from So. Cal, I love cajeta - goat's milk caramel dip. Best caramel dip for apples ever! It's awesome on vanilla ice cream, too. I never thought about making it myself until recently when my 9 year old bought some dairy goats. Now, I feel rich because we get to reap the benefits of his does. :weee

Anyway, I found a recipe for the delicious treat while looking for ways to use the milk. I'll share the recipe but I have a question, too.

If I want to can it, won't the extra heating cook the caramel more and change the color and thickness? Then how should I can it? Anyone with experience in canning caramel sauce could probably help me. I've just never done it before. Thanks.

Here's the recipe from Home Cheese Making:

2 Tb cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 quarts whole goat's milk
3 cups sugar

1. Dissolve the cornstarch and baking soda in 1 cup of milk. Stir to dissolve any lumps.
2. Add the remaining milk and sugar. Bring to boil stirring constantly and cook until it is the consistency of caramel sauce.
3. Pour into clean jars and cool.

I'm not very experienced in canning anything and I hate to fail. :rolleyes: I'll probably try under cooking it then put it in my pressure cooker and just experiment but any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know nothing about your caramel sauce and even less about goats but caramel last forever in the fridge. Do you need to store it in a cupboard? Why "can" it at all? I guess so you can make a ton and have it on hand, or give as gifts. Ok let us know what you find out.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I just found this thread, I recently made and canned cajeta. Fridge space is at a premium here, so it couldn't live there for long. I used less sugar, as goats milk tastes sweeter to me, and I accidentally added extra cornstarch. It turned out thick like a soft taffy. So good.

I picked a recipe for a fruit conserve that I thought had a similar consistency to my cajeta and canned it in a water bath. After 3 weeks it still looks good in the jar. I haven't opened it yet though.

Did you ever can yours? How did it turn out?

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, I never did can mine (actually my 9 year old made it). I didn't like the recipe. It tasted too much like sweetened condensed milk to me. Bleh. Okay, actually I think I ate the whole jar but....I think I could find a better recipe somewhere.

I'd like to have any recipes anyone has tried and liked. :D

Thanks for the tip on canning it like preserves. That was smart.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Instead of canning it, why couldn't you put it in 1/2 quart or pint canning jars, vacuum seal it and then freeze it?? It has already been cooked (pasteurized) so it should keep like that for a very VERY long time. Just a thought.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Ahh, well, I don't know about the OP, but freezer space is at a premium here, and I am raising lambs and chickens for meat, so they will have to go in the freezer, plus there are a lot of fruits and veggies that only taste good frozen.

And, last winter there were a lot of storms and we had a lot of power outages, so anything I can can, I prefer to.

ChickenPotPie - I sort of messed up my recipe, and it turned out great, if I can duplicate it, I'll post it. It was a great way to use up a lot of goat milk fast.