Canning Cheese Sauce?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It kills me to buy boxes of mac n cheese. My son loves it and we save it for the days we just don't have energy to cook anything.

So I thought I would make MY yummy cheese sauce and can it so it's ready-to-go and we can just boil up some pasta and pour on the sauce.

So... how long would I boil the jars in a water bath?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
yeah my cheese sauce ercipe has dairy in it and I don't think you could safely can it...so I'm curious now.

:pop

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
My sauce probably takes about 15 minutes to make, not a huge deal - but now and then I try make a few little servings and freeze em.

Oberhaslikid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is the recipe I use.
3-2lb blocks of Velveeta cheese
3 1/2 cups can milk or cream.
1 qt. milk
1/4 lb butter or Margerine
Melt together over low heat stirring constantly. Fill pint jars and cold pack for 20 min.Makes 20 pints.
I put in jelly jars instead so I can open a jar and use up the open jar at once.Serving size for Mac N cheese or nachos, or over broccoli.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
tortoise said:
2T butter + 2T flour

2 c water
1 c milk
2 - 4 T cream
cheese
Mine's similar although I don't use water or cream. Mine uses butter, flour, milk and cheese.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oberhaslikid said:
1 qt. milk
Melt together over low heat stirring constantly. Fill pint jars and cold pack for 20 min.Makes 20 pints.
I put in jelly jars instead so I can open a jar and use up the open jar at once.Serving size for Mac N cheese or nachos, or over broccoli.
This looks tasty :drool but seems to have alot of milk/liquid. Is the end result thin? Or does it cook up-so to speak? Or is it just my imagination? :hu

Is it possible to substitue blocks of regular cheddar cheese? Or is that a different process?

I'm just curious since I've never thought about doing cheese sauce before & think it would be a great idea to try.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Oberhaslikid said:
1 qt. milk
This looks tasty :drool but seems to have alot of milk/liquid. Is the end result thin? Or does it cook up-so to speak? Or is it just my imagination? :hu

Is it possible to substitue blocks of regular cheddar cheese? Or is that a different process?

I'm just curious since I've never thought about doing cheese sauce before & think it would be a great idea to try.
I think calling velveeta "cheese" is a bit of a stretch, the processed "cheeses" just kinda gross me out - they're too much like plastic.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Oberhaslikid said:
1 qt. milk

No it's not at all thin. Mix the butter and flour to make "roux." It cookes for 1 - 3 minutes. When you add the first cup of water it IMMEDIATELY thickens to equally as thick as the roux. The recipe ends up just like store-jar sauce. Except WAY better.