Canning chicken and dumplings ?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am looking to can chicken and dumplings. Mostly for those days when I am just too worn out to put much effort into dinner or when I am away and the men folk are left to feed themselves. Does anyone have a good recipe for this? My concern is the dumplings getting mushy, but I figure if Sue Bee can do it on a large scale, surely I can do it in my pressure canner. :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I looked through my Ball Blue Book and all I could find was how to can chicken soup. However, I'd say the process is the same, but if it were me, I'd undercook the dumplings just a bit. It says to process pints for an hour and 15 minutes and quarts for an hour and 30 at 10lbs pressure.

Not sure if that helped or not....:)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh wonderful , thanks so much! I loaned out my Ball Blue Book about 3 months ago.. I dont expect I will get it back :( That was just the info I was hunting :)

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would be VERY leery of canning the dumplin's They are very dense and you may not be able to properly prepare such a food with home canning. Keep in mind, we are not adding the chemicals that you would find on the back of a store bought can.

Edit: I did find this, which may mean I am wrong.... HOWEVER, the article could be wrong too!
http://www.backwoodshome.com/advice/ajo060512.html

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Actually, tonight DGD and I had chicken and dumplings that I canned last year. I never can the dumplings, though. Just the meat and gravy. I don't know about the safety of it, but it seems like it would be just awful after being pressure canned for 75 to 90 minutes. Blech.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would think the dumplings would fall apart. My tendency would be to can the soup and make the dumplings when heating it up....or serve it with biscuits, instead, or something else. Still a quick meal, though, and delicious!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmm.. there just has to be a way to pull this off without turning them to yucky goo with out the chemistry. My dumpling recipe is a bit odd anyway due to not using white flour. We are whole wheat folks around here. I think I am going to give it a go tomorrow or over the weekend. Maybe add extra egg to the dumplings for more 'body'? A single quart jar, for the sake of science won't be a huge waste if it doesn't work. I have a dog :p

sslawlor

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Rebecka,
I would love your recipe for whole wheat dumplings! (If it's not a family secret)...We have recently "gone over the wall" to the ww side! I've been making our own ww bread and using /buying whole grains instead of the white stuff wherever I can. Never thought of dumpling though. I have chickens and a dog! ;) Sue the Newbie