Canning deer meat...the old-fashioned way?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Deleted because I dont want anyone to think I was trying to HI JACK THIS THREAD. sorry Beekissed.

Harley's Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi Bee,
I only 2 years ago got a pressure cooker. (Things are expensive!) Anyways. I do pears and spaghetti sauce and veggie soup lots of other things that are high in acid. The things I pressure cook are meat and beans. I used to use the boiling-water canner method on those before I got the pressure cooker. I have found some of my seals broken. And I just don't eat those. It gets thrown into the fire pit and burned. (I don't want my chickens to get it) You can use the water boiling method on all of your foods. It just takes longer to can than a pressure cooker. I highly recommend the Ball Blue book of preserves!!! That is my canning guide. And if you don't want to buy it try renting it at your library! Good luck and have fun canning!! :D

Wanted to add. If doing meat. You need to can for about 4 hours. My mom does hers this way all the time. We have been doing this canning method for over a century. MY mom, her mom, her moms mom and her moms moms mom! LOL.
Mom still has jars that my nanny (moms mom) canned in 1989 and they are still sealed (sandwich spread). If you cook your meat for long enough you will be just fine. Take it from a bunch of healthy hillbilles! ;)

My mom was shocked when I got a pressure cooker. LOL cause that just ain't how we can things! LOL

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
hi beekissed--we've only done venison the pressure cooker way. I was going to be a smart alec and point out that maybe you couldn't get input from someone who water bathed their meat since they're all dead ;), but I guess there probably were not always pressure cookers in the history of canning. Hard to imagine any organisms surviving 90 min of boiling...