Canning dried beans

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have read before about people canning dried beans, and have often wondered why one would take a perfectly preserved (dried) bean, and preserve it again in a jar. But I have seen the light now, and realize that a jar of already soaked and cooked beans would be very convenient. And certainly nicer than the cans from the store. So, how do you do it? And how do they turn out?
I have read conflicting ideas on the subject - putting beans in a jar, covering with hot water, and immediately processing them; soaking the beans first, and then processing them; and soaking, and then cooking for 30 minutes before processing. First option seems iffy to me - half the processing time would be taken up in re-hydrating the beans in the jar I would think; doesn't seem safe. Third option sounds like the final product would be very overcooked and mushy (OK for refried beans or bean puree, but not much else). Second option sounds like the one that would work the best, to me. However the third (mushy) option is the one recommended by the Ball Blue Book. How do you do it?
Also, for how long? BBB says 90 minutes for a quart; this article (scroll down) says 75 min - http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/JackieClay/2011/02/07/only-in-minnesota/
Thanks for your advice/experience.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can beans.

The hard part is it usually depends on the bean.. they always turn out a bit different.

I like to pre soak over night with a bit of whey. Not sure why, but recommended by the food guru's around here. Something about making them better for your body to digest. I used to just bring to a boil and let stand an hour or so. Drain, rinse, add to hot jars, fill with boiling water then pressure can. Remember not to fill the jars full. The beans will still swell and soak up water while canning.

If the beans are soaked but not cooked they usually hold their shape and don't get to mushy.

I hope that helps.

I usually can when bulk beans go on sale. One pound of beans can make several pints.

:idunno

g

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I only canned beans once but they turned out wonderful!!! I cooked them as normal... then put the cooked beans with soup into jars and pressure canned them...

we have had a nice bean diner (something that normally takes all day to make) several times now and it's so nice!

I want to learn to make refried beans and can them!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
While I think I understand the "convenience" of "canning beans" the whole idea seems a bit expensive in terms of time and resources. Why do I say this?

Well, considering the fact that pinto beans have one of the longest storage lives of any food it confuses me why you would put time and money into canning them. The cost of canning jars, the value of your time and the effort involved makes me think that those resources might well be better spent canning other foods to compliment those beans. Call me what you will, but soaking beans for more than a day really ought to soften them enough to cook. Are you water bath canning them or pressure cooker canning? Seems that would make a HUGE difference in the result.

Not sure why yours are still hard but as Jackie Clay said in her response; "you probably don't want to put them in the compost heap just yet".

I guess I just don't understand the situation...no offense meant. :hide

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
I want to learn to make re fried beans and can them!
Re fried beans are to thick to can. But I found a recipe that you can whole pintos and mash when your re heating. Its very good.

I can look for the link if you like.

Icu4dzs
I have no idea how to double quote.

I can the beans because it saves me time. And I think a bit of money. I can turn a pound of beans into several pints of ready to go beans in a jar. Where I live a good can of beans is over a dollar.

I think its also about having what you need ready to go. When making a recipe of Chili Mack for my family of 5, I can pull hamburger, diced tom, tomato sauce, kidney beans, corn, elbow noodles all from my freezer and pantry. Dinner done. Minimal effort. All home canned.

Oh and most of my beans are canned in the off season. When there are no veggies to do. Being a SAHM I have plenty of time.

It's a convenience thing.

g

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
:caf

I canned black beans 2 years ago, while they were tasty, they were only really good for re-fried-like beans being very mushy. This past year I just sealed the dried beans in an airtight package.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
While I think I understand the "convenience" of "canning beans" the whole idea seems a bit expensive in terms of time and resources. Why do I say this?

Well, considering the fact that pinto beans have one of the longest storage lives of any food it confuses me why you would put time and money into canning them. The cost of canning jars, the value of your time and the effort involved makes me think that those resources might well be better spent canning other foods to compliment those beans. Call me what you will, but soaking beans for more than a day really ought to soften them enough to cook. Are you water bath canning them or pressure cooker canning? Seems that would make a HUGE difference in the result.

Not sure why yours are still hard but as Jackie Clay said in her response; "you probably don't want to put them in the compost heap just yet".

I guess I just don't understand the situation...no offense meant. :hide
As I mentioned in my OP this was also always my way of thinking - why can them when they are safely put away in my pantry in their dry state? Like Tankshill I have a sufficiency of time, being retired, and therefore would most likely usually take the time to soak them when I need them (that is, the day before ;)), but there are times when I do not serve beans when I might have wanted to simply because I didn't think of it soon enough to soak them. Therefore my question. Also, I read of someone else who canned up beans as a means of filling the canner when she didn't have a full load of something else. That makes a lot of sense to me, assuming that I had the forethought to soak them in time :rolleyes:.
And I'm not sure whose question you are answering here: "Not sure why yours are still hard but as Jackie Clay said in her response; "you probably don't want to put them in the compost heap just yet"." Did anyone, outside of Jackie Clay's article, talk about hard beans?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
CrimsonRose said:
I want to learn to make re fried beans and can them!
Re fried beans are to thick to can. But I found a recipe that you can whole pintos and mash when your re heating. Its very good.
I have read this also. I would mash, and season the beans just before serving.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can lots of beans - kidney, pinto, black, october, chick peas, canellini. I like them for the convenience....and they taste much better than commercial canned. Although I'm home all day, it still suits me best to open a jar or two at times rather than soak, etc.

DH & I also like chick peas and black beans on salads. The texture of a canned bean suits that purpose best to us.

Regarding cost....depending on the price of dry beans, I can do them for around 30 - 35¢ per pint. Canellinis run about 55- 60¢ per pint because the dry beans cost more than most, at least around here.

That doesn't count the cost of canning jars....but you'll reuse the jars over & over. I have jars I've canned in for 25 yrs. Their cost has been spread out over so many jars of foods that it doesn't matter anymore.

I use the BBB directions - soaking, and then cooking for 30 minutes before processing. I just hold them at a very low boil (barely) for the 30 minutes. They come out great...all varieties. Not mushy.

And BTW, I've tried the first method - putting beans in a jar, covering with hot water, and immediately processing them. It's not as nice a product. The outer skin on the beans stays harder, and they turn thick in the jar. Some crack open and almost "burst". Edible....but not nearly as nice.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
I use the BBB directions - soaking, and then cooking for 30 minutes before processing. I just hold them at a very low boil (barely) for the 30 minutes. They come out great...all varieties. Not mushy.

Aha! that might be it! thanks!