Canning for the first time

mpiazzola

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips? I wanna get into canning but have no clue where/how to start. Please help!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First and foremost get a Ball Blue Book canning guide, it is the perfect book to get started. Remember to use approved as safe canning recipes, even though there are millions of them floating around especially the internet.
Go to youtube and watch canning videos, you will learn a lot about technique and why to do something. I learned a ton about canning meat, then cross referenced with tested safe recipes.
Get a buddy, I love to can with a partner in the kitchen and it's great motivation (at least for me)
HAVE FUN! It is highly addicting and I love to do it!!!!! :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mpiazzola said:
Does anyone have any tips? I wanna get into canning but have no clue where/how to start. Please help!
Decide what you want to can, and then check the resources listed above for the how-to. Then do it. You'll totally get hooked!

You can start with pretty minimal equipment: recipe, jars and lids/bands, large pot with rack to keep jars off the bottom (one that's tall enough to allow an inch or two of water to boil above the tops of the jars when set on the rack), jar lifter (tongs that lift jars out of the hot water). Then you are able to process any "high acid" foods (fruits, pickles with vinegar, tomatoes/sauce with added lemon juice/citric acid to ensure high acidity).

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
actually I really would recomend you tube...
that is how I learned ...
it can seem incredibly intimidating at first...
but if you whatch a few videos...not only do you get to have a visual of how
to do it but gradually it seems less difficult...
And you can learn to can all kinds of things...you newer knew you wanted...
good luck
hope it all goes fabulously 4 you

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm another one who votes the Ball Blue book to start out with. It has a lot of information in as well as recipes. U tube and blogs would make good supplementals to the written directions.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the easiest things to can are jams. After that fruits like peaches, pears, cherries and tomatoes. Then applesauce, salsas, sauces and pickles. After you are good at those try a pressure canner and things like green beans, other veggies, soups, and meats.

Ask around your neighborhood for people who may not want their old canning supplies, especially jars. Canning jars can last for generations. If you go to church, introduce yourself to some of the old ladies, or visit a senior citizen center. If they used to or still do can, they would probably love to share their experience with you.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
High-acid foods are easy, too, those can be water-bathed - salsa, tomato sauce, etc.

Good advice on any of the Ball Blue Books, and the pickyourown site. We use them both a lot.

Latest posts