canning gadget

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I freeze canning jars all the time - only lost 2 over the years. I figure they were weak from all the use - or does it have something to do with vacuum sealing?

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
2 dream I'm glad it has been sucessfull 4 u ...I unfortunately lost 2 jars putting a batch in the freezer...so for me I've leaned the not complete trust...thease were things waiting 4 a canner 2 arrive..and were not vacumed .I would however say, I would think they would be safer vacumed...as the air is zapped out...
but I am no scientist..

orchick..
.I was using the oxygen absorbers, when I was doing things for long range..storage..And I admitt then I got rolls cheap on ebay...and vacumed to size then I used the oxygen absorbers and sealed in a mylar bag..then I was thinking about long randge freezer storage...but then my son moved home with his apetite...since our country move...I have been doing much more canning...For me I don't add and oa when vac zapping, was only suggesting as added help with the humidity factor...
I mainly use it for all my dehydrated items...and staples, and by large package small..ect...It is a gadget that 4 me gets a lot of use...

snapshot...Congratulations..sure it will be great...so long as it has a canister attachment port..you will be fine...mine has a built in cutter that at the time of purchase...I thought was a bit of overkill but has been very handy...

:frow

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
snapshot said:
I'm sold! I gonna order my new vacuum sealer in the next few days so I added the wide mouth jar attatchment and the hose at the same time. The one I am ordering is a Food Saver 2244 model. Any one have that model?
I have the V2440 - Which is much older than your new 2244. I love Food Saver products. I have tried several other brands and find they do not hold up to my needs. Word of caution - make sure the rubber gasket is wiped off after each use - order 2 extra rubber gaskets to have on hand. Depending on how often you use you food saver they will need to be replaced at a miminum once a year. I use mine at least 4 times a week and sometimes daily. If packaging meat and the gasket gets wet and dirty, take it out, wash it off, let it dry and put it back in, it will last longer. During heavy uses - such as harvest time - my extra gaskets are called into play while one set dries. The sealer will not vacuum properly if the gasket is not in good shape.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have the wide mouth jar attachment for the Food Saver, and I really like it. Just used it this morning, in fact. I got free from Amazon, using Swagbucks, so it has certainly paid for itself already. :lol:

I haven't used it for salad, or anything that needs to be refrigerated. I use it for dry goods that I want to last a long time (dry beans, lentils, split peas, sushi rice) and things that I would otherwise need to freeze in order to stockpile (spices, dried herbs, dried fruit, coconut, nuts, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, coffee beans, seeds that we are saving for next year).

We are (slowly) moving toward all regular width Tattler (reusable) lids for our canning needs. We use wide mouth jars for dry good storage with the jar sealer. Wide mouth are just easier for dry goods, at least IMO. The nice thing is that our metal wide mouth lids that are disposable when used for canning are reusable when used with the sealer. So with the investment of the jar sealer and the Tattler lids, we'll only need to buy rubber rings every decade or so for the Tattler lids (which are much, much cheaper than metal lids).

The jar sealer and gamma seal lids have really saved us tons of freezer space. We eat a wide variety of beans and pulses- we have about 20 varieties on hand at any one time- so we don't have enough of any one kind to justify a 5 gallon or even 2.5 gallon pail. This is where a quart or half gallon mason jar with a sealed lid works beautifully. For dry goods that we move through quickly- oats, wheat berries, white flour, white sugar, brown sugar, brown rice, dog food, and homemade laundry powder- we use the 5 gallon pail with a gamma seal lid, which is basically like a giant sealed mason jar.

These seals keep out moisture, odors, and pantry pests.

We used to keep all this stuff in our freezer and it was just way too much. We still don't can things like peas, peppers, corn and asparagus, because we just prefer frozen, and now we actually have room to have preferences, ha!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They also make a regular lid vacuum attachment too. $8.99 at food saver.

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
wow..Flibbertigibbet i never knew you could get replacement gasskets...!!!!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neat gadget. I wonder if it would actually work to prevent bugs. Does anyone have weevles? If so, maybe you can do an experiment.

Storing salad for 7-9 days is easy, so I don't see the point of all this. Just wash the leaves, shake off the water, wrap them in a towel, and stuff it in the veg drawer of the refrigerator. It lasts about 14 days, in my experience. And the washing can be as simple as cutting the base off the head and dumping the leaves into a huge bowl of water. Slosh it around, change the water, maybe even forget all about it and put it up tomorrow morning. It really is easy and doesn't require any machines.

The solution to browing lettuce is to eat more of it. Have a salad with lunch and dinner. That'll show the lettuce who's boss.

(And eating romain lettuce for your whole life would be a sad fate. If you like salad dressing, romain is OK, but if you like salad, it'll never do.)

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have used and abused our food saver and it keeps on going. It has outlasted any other make we ever tried.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is very cool about the lettuce. Lettuce was one items that long term storage just isn't going to happen.

I wouldn't do the lettuce. For me I eat it :D I have to say I can go thru lettuce, spinach, and all the rest in no time. Way before they think of going bad :p

I never had a vacuum sealer but they constantly catch my eye. I am still not sure if one is in my future or not? hmm....

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
kstaven said:
We have used and abused our food saver and it keeps on going. It has outlasted any other make we ever tried.
KStaven--which model do you have? I keep putting off ordering. I need feedback please!