Canning Help! Jalapeno Jelly Pectin amount?

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok I feel really silly but I cant even remember my own Jalapeno Jelly recipe! :barnie
I wrote it all out and I cant i just dont understand my own recipe. I put 2 (6 ounces) packets of Ball liquid pectin. My concern is if I meant 2-6oz packets = 12 oz or if I meant 2 packets = 6 oz.
The jelly was fantastic nad I want to make it again but its been a few years and I just cant remember.

Here is my recipe, let me know if you think I could get away with only 6 oz total of liquid pectin or if I need 12 oz.
- 2c seeded green bell peppers (slightly blended)
- 1/2 c jalapeno peppers (slighty blended)
- 8 c sugar
- 2 c Apple cider vinegar
- 2 (6 ounces) packet liquid fruit pectin (Ball) - HERE is my problem area! :he
This makes 12 half pint jars.

If you are a canning expert and can help me I would SO much appreciate it! I dont want to use TOO much pectin and have it be a stiff block, but then again I dont want to have it be really runny!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
A packet of Ball liquid pectin is 6 oz, sez google. Thus I am pretty positive that your recipe means to add two pouches, thus 12 oz total. Also this is a plausible amount for a jelly recipe with the other ingredients you list :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
A packet of Ball liquid pectin is 6 oz, sez google. Thus I am pretty positive that your recipe means to add two pouches, thus 12 oz total. Also this is a plausible amount for a jelly recipe with the other ingredients you list :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
This is what I thought but when I bought my 6 oz packets of liquid ball pectin (like I used too) I opened them and there were 2 (3oz) packets in the box, so 6 oz total, but 3 oz each. This is when I started to get confused about my recipe because I didnt know if I meant 2 (3oz) packet = 1 box or 2 boxes = 12 oz.
I have no idea, I figure if I mess up it will at least taste the same, the texture will just be different...not the worst thing!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Ok, you've got me confused now too :)

So I googled up some jalapeno jelly recipes (too lazy to walk to kitchen for books :p) and the couple I looked at seemed to agree that for 6-8 c sugar, you will want 2 individual pouches, that is 1 box (6 oz) TOTAL, of liquid pectin.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK! Here it goes!
Im gonna give it a try and see what happens.
I already have the pot full of goodies sitting and waiting for the pectin. (almost done with the 1 hour rest before the pectin).
Only problem is that I somehow forgot to put on gloves and my hands are on FIRE from the jalapenos!

Oh well it will go away eventually

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
- 2c seeded green bell peppers (slightly blended)
- 1/2 c jalapeno peppers (slighty blended)
- 8 c sugar
- 2 c Apple cider vinegar
- 2 - 3oz packets liquid fruit pectin 6 oz TOTAL! (Ball)
This makes 12 half pint jars.

Ok I now know that I meant 2 packets (3 oz each) Totalling 6 ounces!!
I did it last night (I actually doubled the recipe) and the jars set up beautifully! Im very excitted to try it now...just thought I better wait until lunch to give it a little more time to set!

Thank you for all your help!!