Canning hotdogs

Strysa

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Has any one ever tried canning regular store bought hot dogs or polish sausages? I got a really good deal on buying in bulk this summer and they are eating up a ton of freezer space right now. Thought it would be cool if I could can them and put them on the self. I just started canning this last spring so I am pretty new at it. Any ideas?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Firstly :welcome

Secondly according to Jackie Clay you can can hot dogs, but they dont turn out very good. I recomend using them to make pet food or something and can that mixture IMO

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
Do some home canned beanie weenies :hu
I ahdnt thought of that but thats a good idea........
I would can some in chilli too and just use it like chilli dogs with bread instead of a bun. That's how I eat mine anyways most times since I don't make buns often enough.

Strysa

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow, those are both great ideas. We have a hound and a lab and I have been thinking about doing the homemade dog food. When you do the chili dogs; do you cut them up or do you just put a few in whole and fill the rest of the can with chili?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I chop them up. I have never canned them in the chilli, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. I meant I would chop them up in chilli to can because I eat mine chopped up and mixed with the chilli anyway. I think it would be a good homemade convenience food! Good luck with the canning :)