canning jar advice....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks to y'all, I have placed an ad on craigslist for used canning jars.

(Why-oh-why can't people understand the terms metal lids, no glass lids, in my ad???)

I got a reply with 2 1/2 dozen quart Ball jars from the 1930's with zinc lids. Does anyone out there know if I can use these with the modern two-piece lids in my pressure canner?

It is a little bit of a drive, so I want to avoid going there with lids in hand if I will just be disappointed.

Thanks!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I got a reply with 2 1/2 dozen quart Ball jars from the 1930's with zinc lids. Does anyone out there know if I can use these with the modern two-peice lids in my pressure canner?
No, you can't. The threads aren't the same, at least not on the ones I have.

You can still buy new rubber rings for that kind of lid (at least up here you can, I expect that you prolly can in the US too, but you might have to hunt around). That's what you'd have to get, to use them.

They are not generally recommended for canning anymore though, as having a higher rate of seal failures. Real good for storing dry stuff, though! :)

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They make some really cute containers for homemade bath salts, recipe mixes, potpouri, and milk baths.

The zinc lids I have fit regular canning jars as well and were made by Ball. I've never had a problem with metal rings fitting my older, antique jars, so maybe I've just been lucky! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Rats, got the same answer on BYC, too. I have so many nice jars for my dry goods, I can't really justify more right now.

An elderly friend of mine just gave me an assortment of around 30 quart jars in various shapes. She said she had a dozen glass-top bale-type jars for me, too, for dry goods.

I really need canning jars! Guess I'll probably have to wait for Walmart and get as many as I can each month while they have them in stock. Most of the craigslist ads are for jars wanted or the older jars.