Canning Jars

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went to another auction on Saturday and picked picked up another batch of jars (74). A mixed lot of qt, and pt. , wide and reg. mouth. $5.00. Also in the lot were 25 - 1/2 gallon jars. They won't fit in either of my canners ( not that I'd want to can that much of anything in one jar) so I'm going to use a couple of them for my dried fruit, and a couple to store next years garden seeds. Anyone have any other ideas on what else to do with these monsters? :idunno

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, great find. I would use them in the pantry for dry goods. Pastas, beans rice. How about fill them with baked goods and give them as gifts at Christmas. I think my seed sprouting jar is a half gallon. Maybe you could make some screen lids and re sell them as sprouting jars. good luck!!!!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Give them to me!!!! I wonder how far you are from me??
I need that size for my family! Especially for speghetti sauce!
Great score!
Just mapquested and you are about 4 hours from me...bummer I just passed your place about a month ago!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Give them to me!!!!
That was to be my next post. I'd be more than happy to give them to someone. I know I'll never use them all.

Thanks Gina. All our dry goods are vacuum packed. I thought about filling a few with the wheat we have but our machine only has the attachment for reg. mouth jars. These are wide mouth. I need to see if there is a wide mouth for it. The Christmas gift idea is worth looking into.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You might advertise them. People with milk goats are constantly using the 1/2 gallon jars. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I think my seed sprouting jar is a half gallon.
I use a 1/2 gallon jar as a seed sprouter as well. I sprout whole oats for my hens in the winter in them.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
If you make pickles, you could use them as a brine jar.

I do that with my 1 gal. jars.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I only have six and they are in constant use. I ferment in them and store milk in them in the fridge when I run out of gallon jars. You could use them to trade for something you need and will use more. Coming to MA or CT anytime?:D

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use my half gallons for storing goat milk. I give empties to my farmer when I pick up the full ones. That way I don't have to worry about breaking any of her containers. I also find the half gallons much easier to pour.

I also use them for storing honey. I buy it from a local beekeeper by the two gallon bucket. Half gallons jars are easier to store than the bucket and make it MUCH easier to use the honey.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We never could find any cooking times for canning in the 1/2 gallon jars, so we just use them for dried goods. Stuff keeps a loooong time when you vacuum seal them in these jars!

376549485.jpg