Canning meat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Sorry, I am not going to read all 147 pages of the canning thread :D

I have two turkeys that I would like to can, just to get them out of the freezer, and also to have a quick meat to open up for a quick meal.

CAn someone tell me the best easiest way to can turkey meat? I really don't want to raw pack it, and don't want bones in it.

Should I cook the turkey, then take off the bones, boil the bones for broth and then add the broth to the turkey and can it that way? If I do it that way, and that is how I want to do it) how long and at what # pressure do I do it for. My canning book only says raw pack, so I come to the experts. (that's you guys ;))

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
That is the samething my book says. I really don't want ot have to cook it to ONLY 2/3 cooked before deboning it. anyone done it differenlty? I mean I'll do it that way if I have to, but...

S

sunsaver

Yeah, but the keyboard and mouse pad are toast. Im using a usb mouse and keyboard. It booted normally for the first time. Yay! I love canned meat. great for home made fast food.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Sorry, I am not going to read all 147 pages of the canning thread :D

I have two turkeys that I would like to can, just to get them out of the freezer, and also to have a quick meat to open up for a quick meal.

CAn someone tell me the best easiest way to can turkey meat? I really don't want to raw pack it, and don't want bones in it.

Should I cook the turkey, then take off the bones, boil the bones for broth and then add the broth to the turkey and can it that way? If I do it that way, and that is how I want to do it) how long and at what # pressure do I do it for. My canning book only says raw pack, so I come to the experts. (that's you guys ;))
I just cooked mine like normal ... ALL the way done. I basically stewed it in liquid to make a great broth. Then I drained the broth and let the chicken cool in the fridge.

I put the large bones and cartilage, skin, wing tips etc back into the broth with a glug of AVC and let it continue to reduce and cook while the chicken cooled and was deboned. You could get more fancy and add celery, onions and other stock veggies if you wanted to, but I was lazy. Then I drained the broth again and seasoned it with salt and pepper.

I can my meat always in pints. I like it better and I think it gets heated through better.

I boiled my jars, scalded my lids and proceeded to pack the boneless chicken into the jars by first adding a ladle of broth, then the chicken. I wanted a nice firm pack but with enough broth to keep it moist and to cover the top of the meat a bit. Leave about an inch of head space and process in a pressure canner. My book said 10 pounds of pressure for 1 hour and 20 minutes for the pints. I also canned the remaining broth (well most of it - when I ran out of canner space I froze some) at the same time and pressure.

I figure I sometimes slow roast or crockpot a chicken for HOURS. Cooking and then pressure canning just makes it a bit more tender, but not mushy. This works GREAT for those old hens and the odd rooster as well, but I would recommend aging a rooster an extra day in the fridge before cooking him. Do it right and I have had jars stay in perfect shape and taste great 2 years later!! ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I used to do beef stew and chicken vegetable soup ... but it has been a while.

We seem to prefer fresh made soups to ready to eat ones. So now I can the ingredients - meat in one jar, corn, beans, carrots in their jars and just dump them together and heat it up, maybe adding rice or noodles at the end. Almost as fast and more versatile. ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks so much FF!!! that is exactly how I wnated to do it, but I guess I needed some reassurance from someone with experience. So, now I am going to wait for a cooler day and do it(it got hot out again).

SS, the only soup I have canned is Farmerlor's cream of mushroom soup. It is a standby in our house when the kids want a hot quick meal. Since my kids are getting older and more active outside thehome, I am looking for more quick nutritious meals for them, so I am venturing into canned meats and beans.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I can a lot of "one pot meals" for convenience. I can pints of soups and stews, chili, baked beans, etc. Things that are a meal in a jar. It is our version of fast food or take-out!

I also can a lot of ingredients for meals, like chunks of meat, the cream of mushroom soup, plain broth, spaghetti and pizza sauce, etc.

Latest posts