Canning meat

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Get what you can afford. We could afford the AA and my hubby figured it would do me best in the long run. I probably won't be getting a second pressure canner so it's all good here.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have Presto. I have 2 exactly alike. They are 23 quart pots. They take 7 quart jars or more importantly 20 pint jars. I had many other canners over the years. When I got my 2 new ones I retired all but one to cook in. The reason my hubby, the shopahaulic, bought these was because they held 20 pints. As our family got smaller we needed smaller amounts of food per meal. I still make things in quarts but not as much...

I love my canners. We only had a choice of a jiggler. I love the jiggler because I could go about my business near the kitchen and hear that it was still staying at the same pressure without having to look at it. Now they have canners that have both guage and jiggler. So now I have 2 canners going at one time, just singing away with 40 pints going at one time...

I use vinegar in the canner, not in the jars, to keep the canner inside free from minerals and to keep it nice and shiny.
french fries3.jpg

They look just like that today. They were the best things "he" ever could have given me. I love them. I refer to them as "the twins". They sing and make beautiful music together. ;) They each have a little different sound either because they just do or where they are placed on the stove top. I am not sure..

In this picture I just happen to be soaking french fries in the canners because it was easy. I do not actually cook in my canners. I have a pressure cooker for that...

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Someone gifted me a 16 qt. Presto canner and I am soooo happy! I have been praying for one. I still want to get another later on but for now I already have big plans for it. My neighbor I go to church with has promised me some canning jars so I'm on my way to some good meals. I had to freeze my roosters but probably will pull them out and can them later if we don't eat them soon. I also want to make some baked beans since DH buys them all the time and the price of them are outrageous and I always have to doctor them up to make them edible, lol.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My neighbor gave me an 1940's 16 qt.Presto pressure canner. It is in good shape but needs another gauge because it is rusted and another seal after setting for the last 20 years. She also gave me all her canning jars, quarts and pints, several dozens. I have used about 20 making pickled cabbage and pintos and great northern beans.

I am going to order the parts to bring my old Presto back to life. The actual pot and lid are very heavy duty compared to my new canner. So happy to have two now when a few months ago I didn't have one.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@lcertuche That is wonderful.....bet you said a big, "THANK YA".......Now the fun begins.....

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, she knows how thrilled I am. I hope to bless her with a few home canned jars of something yummy soon.

She said the canner was her mother's before it was hers. She has children so I was surprised she gave it to me instead of her daughter. People often don't can these days though or maybe she thought it was too old. I saw someone on YouTube using a canner exactly like the one she gave me but it looked like it had a new gauge too.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What a wonderful gift! Keep us posted when you start using it?