Canning Potatos Questions

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
~gd I think that potatos turning green is when they grow above the soil. I may be wrong on that but my understanding is the green tint comes during the growing process not the drying.

However, I have never dried my potatos out in the full sun. I usually just spread them out on a blanket on my front porch which only gets partial sun, and they are only out there for about a week.

I also do not wash my potatos before storage. After they dry I just brush off as much dirt as possible.

Not an expert here, just a trial and error thing most of the time.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
2dream said:
Do you use a pressure canner? If so when you can the potatos with the skin on, you cut them into quarters unless they are really small. I am not sure about a water bath canner.

Pressure canned at the proper temp and time will kill the bacteria.
I do have a pressure canner and was planning on going that direction for storing my potatoes. I found several recipes and it seems pretty easy, lol, but seeing as I haven't ever done it before I'm sure I will Impress myself with my ability to Ruin such an easy recipe! It's worth a try :)

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
2dream said:
ABHanna, yes the skins come off really easy with brand new potatos. I like to let mine sit at least a full day so all the skin does not come off. I like the skin on mine because that is where most of your nutrients are.

Do you have a canning book? If so just follow the directions. My canned potatos look wonderful. I have not tried them yet but know they will be good. I also packed about 70 lbs in pop up mesh laundry hampers. I used some available aspen wood shavings that someone had given me to keep the potatos from touching.

I do not have a basement or a root cellar so my options were limited. So far the potatos are still looking good and I have not found a rotten one yet. But they are still pretty new.
If you want to 'cure' with the skin on, set in a warm dry Place BUT NOT IN THE SUN! the sun can cause them to turn green under the skin, this green material is moderately TOXIC, not something you would want to eat either canned or cellar stored.
Good to know!!! I was told full sun...or read it somewhere! Glad I did a little more research before ruining all those potatoes

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:gig I am laughing with you at that post because my original post was HELP. I had never canned potatos either and was horrified I would ruin the whole thing.

I don't care how much canning you do, that first new item is always a little scary.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
~gd I think that potatos turning green is when they grow above the soil. I may be wrong on that but my understanding is the green tint comes during the growing process not the drying. You may well be right! We never cured in the sun, so we never saw it happen. If the tubers are exposed while growing it sure happens. Part of my thought process was that the small potatoes were not fully developed and could do this if exposed. I COULD BE WRONG! BTW we never washed before storage either, we had fairly clay soil and dried them so the dirt would not retain moisture which would help them mold or rot in the cool damp root celler. We never canned them either since they kept very well, we seldom were out of 'old' potatoes before the 'new' potatoes were ready. We had better things to can. ~gd

However, I have never dried my potatos out in the full sun. I usually just spread them out on a blanket on my front porch which only gets partial sun, and they are only out there for about a week.

I also do not wash my potatos before storage. After they dry I just brush off as much dirt as possible.

Not an expert here, just a trial and error thing most of the time.

Oberhaslikid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I canned up 50 lbs. of new potatoes last year withthe skins on it didnt effect them at all.
It wasnt for storage it was more for conveinence.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oberhaslikid said:
I canned up 50 lbs. of new potatoes last year withthe skins on it didnt effect them at all.
How many jars does 50 lb come out too?

Oberhaslikid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ABHanna4d said:
Oberhaslikid said:
You know I dont remember how many jars but its enough I dont think I will do any this year.
I always buy 100lbs to stock the root celler befor the holidays. Low and behold here come the neighbors with a bushel basket full of nice new potatoes. well had to do something with them. She said she was gonna can hers. I never done it but My DH always bought those canned ones from the store when he was batching. We did it. after the second load I told DH we better try them before we did anymore. OMG that was just too easy. Weekend breakfast he wants potatos and eggs and bacon. Well I grab up a jar rinse them and fry them up in butter or oil. and you got fried taters in a jiffy. The neighbor uses hers to make Potato salad.
you can make soup out of them or add to any casserole ,add cheese.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oberhaslikid said:
ABHanna4d said:
Oberhaslikid said:
You know I dont remember how many jars but its enough I dont think I will do any this year.
I always buy 100lbs to stock the root celler befor the holidays. Low and behold here come the neighbors with a bushel basket full of nice new potatoes. well had to do something with them. She said she was gonna can hers. I never done it but My DH always bought those canned ones from the store when he was batching. We did it. after the second load I told DH we better try them before we did anymore. OMG that was just too easy. Weekend breakfast he wants potatos and eggs and bacon. Well I grab up a jar rinse them and fry them up in butter or oil. and you got fried taters in a jiffy. The neighbor uses hers to make Potato salad.
you can make soup out of them or add to any casserole ,add cheese.
Love it! I'm super excited about canning potatoes npw!!!