Canning Potatos Questions

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
ABHanna4d said:
Im about to harvest a lot of potatoes and am trying to get ready...Ive never grown or canned potatoes before so Im pretty nervous and excitted!

I heard that when you harvest your potatoes you need to let them sit in the sun for a few days to let the skin "set up and get firm"...what if I just took them straight from the ground and scrubbed them, would the skin come right off from being soft?
They do far better if you let them dry out in the shade instead of the sun. I usually wash my potatoes well and spread them out on a sheet in our spare room upstairs for a day or two. They keep all winter this way. ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Forgot to add ... after I dry then out well I hang them in a mesh laundry bag in a dark corner of the basement to store them.

Also I never CAN any of my potatoes, so I am learning things here. I usually either store them like I mentioned or ... and this really works great ... I slice them thin and dehydrate them into potato "chips". The dehydrated slices work very much like those boxed potato scallops and gratins and are easy to store in a large plastic cereal box. They work great for casseroles, soups, etc... :)

The reason I tried them in the first place was that I always seem to stick the potato fork directly INTO some of the best potatoes when I am digging them, :/ rather than have them spoil I decided to dehydrate! :cool:

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Forgot to add ... after I dry then out well I hang them in a mesh laundry bag in a dark corner of the basement to store them.

Also I never CAN any of my potatoes, so I am learning things here. I usually either store them like I mentioned or ... and this really works great ... I slice them thin and dehydrate them into potato "chips". The dehydrated slices work very much like those boxed potato scallops and gratins and are easy to store in a large plastic cereal box. They work great for casseroles, soups, etc... :)

The reason I tried them in the first place was that I always seem to stick the potato fork directly INTO some of the best potatoes when I am digging them, :/ rather than have them spoil I decided to dehydrate! :cool:
That's a great method! I wish I had a basement!!

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I dug up 3 of my 16 potato plants and am doing my first attempt at canning!!:weee

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:

Do you have recipes for dehydrated slices? I dehydrated a bunch of potatoes two years ago when I got my dehydrator - just to try it out. They are still in the jars because I'm not sure how to cook them.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can them with skins on. I think they hold up better in the jars that way, plus there's the nutrient value already mentioned.

We often mix the little whole ones together with snap beans or wax beans in the jar. Open a jar and waalaaa! instant side dish!

We have a root cellar and also store potatoes. They last incredibly long....way past the holidays and into Feb. By that time, we're ready to plant when the last of them start to grow eyes. We use those as seed potatoes.

VickiLynn said:
Farmfresh said:

Do you have recipes for dehydrated slices? I dehydrated a bunch of potatoes two years ago when I got my dehydrator - just to try it out. They are still in the jars because I'm not sure how to cook them.
Here are a couple ideas for you. If you make several jars (or bags) of these mixes and store them on your pantry shelves, then you have a convenient quick mix, like those store-bought -prepared-box things, but much better for you. Although they use dry milk, etc, still they do not have the chemical additives like so many boxed foods.

Also, if you can get a powdered cheese product - Amish store or buy online - you can add it to these recipes for a cheese version that's shelf stable. Or just add fresh grated cheese when you cook.

Basic Sauce Mix

2 Tbsp. Nonfat Dry Milk
2 Tbsp. Flour
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1 tsp. Onion Powder or 1 Tbsp. Crushed Dried Onions
1/8 tsp. Black Pepper

Combine the above ingredients to make 1 package of sauce mix and seal it in a small zip baggie, removing as much air as possible. When making several mixes to store or give as gifts, multiply this sauce mix recipe and store in a jar until ready for use.

6 Tbsp. Sauce Mix is equal to 1 x the above recipe.

Yield: 3 cups or four 3/4 cups servings

Scalloped Potato Mix in a Jar

3 cups dehydrated Potatoes
1 package (6 Tbsp.) Sauce Mix
1/3 cup Nonfat Dry Milk

Place these ingredients into a one quart jar or ziptop bag, making certain the sauce mix and dry milk are first placed into small zip baggies, then sealed with the air removed. Place the potatoes into the bottom of the jar, then add the baggie of mix on top. Place lid on jar and store in a cool dry place until ready to use. Attach the following instructions for later use, or for gift giving:

Scalloped Potatoes

3 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine
2-3/4 cups boiling Water

Pour the potatoes into a medium size ungreased casserole and sprinkle the sauce mix on top. Dot with butter; stir in the boiling water. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender.

If you are cooking something else at a lower temperature in your oven, adjust the baking time; at 350 degrees bake 40 to 45 minutes; at 325 degrees bake 50 to 55 minutes.

Skillet Meat and Potatoes Casserole Mix in a Jar

3 cups dehydrated Potatoes
1/3 cup Nonfat Dry Milk
1 package (6 Tbsp.) Sauce Mix
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Beef Bouillon Granules

Place above ingredients into a quart jar, placing milk, sauce mix, pepper, salt & bouillon granules into a small zip baggie, which will be placed on top of potatoes in the jar. Place lid on jar & store in a cool dry place until ready to use.

Attach the following instructions for later use, or for gift giving:

Skillet Meat & Potatoes Casserole

Brown 1 pound of ground beef in a skillet, and drain off excess fat. Stir in 2 3/4 cups water and the ingredients from the jar. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring now and then, for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.Yield: 4 one cup servings

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Farmfresh said:

I seem to have a LOT of non-recipes. :D

I just pitch them into my cooking where ever I would use some sliced potatoes and there is plenty of moisture to rehydrate them and a bit of time to make sure they are cooked done.

It takes 15 to 20 minutes of moist cooking to get them done right. Just start flinging them in here and there and you will get the hang of it. ;)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
ABHanna4d said:
I dug up 3 of my 16 potato plants and am doing my first attempt at canning!!:weee
Let us know how they came out.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
2dream said:
ABHanna4d said:
Let us know how they came out.
Yeah! It was super easy!
1249_potato_16.jpg