Canning Question

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Haven't had this happen before. Just canned a few quarts of chicken stock, and one of them keeps pinging and then popping up again. I know I will find out when it cools whether it sealed or not, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what is happening.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've personally never had that happen nor heard of it before.
Even if the jar is sealed once cooled, I would store it in the frig and use it first.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, it did seal overnight, but it was so odd. It would ping and the dimple would dent down, and almost immediately it would ping again and pop up. Happened five or six times. Made it look like something was trying to get out !

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've had that happen, too, and :hu

If I have the time, I try to let the canner cool with the lid ON, so I don't obsess! And it cools more evenly in my drafty kitchen in the cooler weather, so I have fewer failed seals. I take the jars out a couple or a few hours later.

With the lid on the canner, those multiple pings are from multiple jars in my mind!

Not always possible on a big canning day, though.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL! Glad it sealed okay for you. I've had that happen several times. Does seem to happen more on cooler, draftier days when I have to get those jars out right now to put another batch in. If I leave them to cool a little while before sitting them out I never see it.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you ! I had no idea what was happening. Nothing was siphoning, no leaks...it was SPOOKS !!!!

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine has done that the last few times I made turkey broth. I usually try and take em out real fast because I am excited to see em. I have now started to wait and leave em in the canner for a bit and then take the lid off sometimes they do that when I just take the lid off, if they do I let them sit for awhile with the lid off and then take em out. The broth is also bubbling in some of them too which is quite scary to think about while lifting them out of the canner. I always leave em in there if they are bubbling... All of mine have sealed that have ever done that though.