Canning questions

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am going to try canning some chicken. I have a presto canner that has the weighted gauge instead of the actual dial gauge. I am trying to figure out what weight the gauge/bobber thing is that I have, and trying to figure out exactly what I should do. I plan to do pints, I have about 12 pounds with bones, so probably 8-10 after I debone them?

Ok, my main questions are:

What weight is my gauge? 10 lbs or 15? It is part number 28-077. I am figuring it is 15 lb, but I am not sure. I can find pictures of it on google, but can't track down any that say which it is. I was hoping someone on here might have the same one and know what it is.

1763_pressure_canner_weight.jpg

It is one piece, it does not come apart. I know there are some that look nearly identical; and those come apart. This is two pieces, the knob(the black part), and the main body.

Do I need 10 lbs, or 15 lbs? Can I use this gauge, or do I need a different one? I live at around 1000 feet above sea level, if that makes a difference.

I will do some more reading and watching youtube videos probably before I do it, but any advice would be great!

Thanks!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How big is your canner? I am at the presto website....looking now.

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think it is a 15 quart.
Thanks

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
These are the 2 model numbers they give for a 15 qt.
Do you know what the model # is on your canner?

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just looked, it is the 0171003

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I looked at both of those models....and the regulator they show...comes apart. Are you sure yours doesnt come apart?? Maybe its an older one and they are stuck?? If not........I would say it is a 15 pound weight.

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's funny about the regulator, it is very old. That's what I thought to start with, that it is just stuck together. I tried to take it apart, but it is just one piece.

15 pounds would work for canning most stuff, right?

Thanks for looking!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am sure you "could" do it at 15 pounds, just not as long as you would for a 10 pound. I would be safe, and order a new one....$12.00. Worth being safe.

Latest posts