Canning questions

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
OK, stupid question- does roasting peppers and storing them in oil really keep them? My SO also buys a ton of roasted peppers for our pizzas (along with the canned tomatoes- we both like that better than traditional pizza sauce). It would be nice to save some money there.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
OK, stupid question- does roasting peppers and storing them in oil really keep them? My SO also buys a ton of roasted peppers for our pizzas (along with the canned tomatoes- we both like that better than traditional pizza sauce). It would be nice to save some money there.
I'm curious about this too. Seems like the jars would need to be sealed??? I know when I buy roasted peppers in oil then open the jar, it doesn't last all that long in the fridge before mold start growing.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Ours don't last long enough to mold once they're opened- I swear we go through them so fast it would be nice to have our own!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
As for the jars do you all use the store jars specifically for canning? I bought a bunch of jellies in these cute little jars with metal screw on lids. Thought I could reuse them to make dh some jams to take on the road.After reading I am not sure I can use any of the jam/pickle jars I have saved.
Sometime pint canning jars are sold with jams/jellies. Any chance that is what you have?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
Thanks for the posts and the clarification on the pressure canner/cooker.

I took some tools back to my eldery neighbors,and the wife was canning some strawberries she cooked,so I questioned her a bit too.

She agreed that you need the pressure canner for stuff like green beans.

I think this year if I try it will be strawberries and currant preserves for dh.And for me I want to make the lecso which is tomato/onion/pepper cooked with a wee bit of salt and oil. I love this with fresh baked bread,and sometimes I cook an egg into it.

I might pickle some stuff since I have a lot of dill.

Bummer about the jars. I bought those expensive little jams just for the jars.Maybe I can stick some roasted peppers in them,and cover with olive oil.
You can use them for dry storage. I also am a sucker for cute little jars, and sometimes will even pay a bit more for something if I like the jar :hide. I keep dried herbs and spices in them; or sometimes I might just have a small quantity of something dehydrated that needs a jar. Sometimes I make up a particular spice mix for a recipe, and have too much; that goes in a little jar to be used later. If you decide to go against recommendations, and use wax to cover your jelly jars, then it doesn't matter what jar you use. Slightly larger jars can be used as mini greenhouses over seedlings. Jars are endlessly useful.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My glass jars from the jelly are not the canning type.That is ok I will find a use for them. I bought some large and little canning jars at walmart.A tool pack.I skipped the canning pot with the rack for $19.Hoping my stock pot will be ok.

I wanted to take the kids to the local farm to pick berries,but no one wanted to *work* lol in the summer heat.So I sit and wait and read my books.

I read that the as long as the oil covers the food it will be ok.Every jar I bought with peppers or sun dried tomatoes in oil always *popped* when I opened them,so I guess they seal them.Not sure if it is heat cooking or some type of machine?

I want to make chutneys too.My red currants are getting ripe,so if I can snag enough from the kids I will make dh some currant jam.

Thanks again for the posts!