Canning soup questions

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hi guys, I know thi was probably mentioned in the cannning thread, but that is 140 pages long, aand I don't have that kind of time.

I have a bunch of chicken stock in the freezer, and i want to use it to can some soups. I would like to can chicken noodle soup, but I can't find in my canning book (no,, it is not the ball book) about canning soups with noodles. can it be done? considering you have to pressure can it for 90 minutes, can you just put the noodles in hard? how is it done.

Also can i do cream of broccoli and celery and chicken in the same method as Farmerlor's cream of mushroom soup recipe?

and can I use cornstarch or some other thickener other than flour, as i an gluten intolerant?

Can anyone direct me to some recipes?

Thanks!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have no idea about the cream soups but I think the going trend is to can your chicken soup without noodles. Then add them in when your cooking it.

I hope that helps.

good luck,
g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The noodles will disintegrate in the pressure canner. The only instructions I've seen for canning soups with a grain is to put about a tablespoon (measuring spoon) of whole barley in each quart, raw, and can it that way.

As for cornstarch.....I'd try it. The flour method is "not approved" and works well.

And yes, do any cream soup using the basic "cream of x soup" recipe that farmerlor posted.

I simply adjusted my soup recipes to use only veggies that hold up well to the pressure canner....anything that will do well all day in the crockpot (except the noodles/rice/etc) will do well in the pressure canned soups. Softer veggies like potatoes and yams and broccoli will be complete mush, which I dislike, so I don't use them. Onions become mush, too, so I tend to chop them very fine in the food processor so there are no big slimy onion pieces.

If a stew/soup calls for bay leaves, I make a strong,simmered tea with them and add that to the broth. Don't can it with bay leaves, as one will end up in a jar and make it nasty.