canning/storing dry goods

KimV

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm still learning a lot and I'm hoping someone can answer my questions. :)

I'm a couponer, so instead of buying in bulk, I look for deals on smaller packages of dry goods (and other stuff) such as rice and beans and oatmeal, etc. I'm trying to determine the best method to repackage these items to extend their shelf life and avoid creepy crawlies. I like the idea of using canning jars and my awesome hubby went out and bought be several cases (yay!). I also like the idea of plastic 2 liter bottles since they're less breakable.

I have a Foodsaver with a jar sealer attachement, a water bath canner, an oven and lots of 2 liter bottles. I can order oxygen absorbers.

I read about oven canning dry goods, and I understand the idea of heating the product to a particular temperature to kill whatever might be lurking in there. But for every "I love oven canning" article I find, I find 2 that swear it's an unsafe practice. So can I water bath can dry goods if the idea is just to attain a particular tempurature? Is it ok to just put the dry goods in the jars/bottles and vacuum seal with no further processing? Should I still add an oxygen absorber? The more I read, the more I think I'm mixing up methods and confusing myself. :(

Would love to hear your ideas!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

Dry foods don't actually need to be canned, they simply need to be stored correctly. Grains (wheat, oats, rice etc.) and beans simply need to be sealed against moisture and vermin with an oxygen absorber added--a sealed mylar bag inside a plastic bucket is just fine :)

Wet foods, either high acid (fruits, pickles, jams, tomatoes) or low-acid (veggies, convenience foods) need to be canned (or frozen) in order to be preserved. High acid foods may be water bath canned, all low acid foods must be pressure canned for the correct amount of time and at the correct pressure for your altitude.

KimV

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! And the welcome. :)

I've read about the mylar bag and bucket method. But I'm really trying to work with what I have. I don't have buckets or mylar bags, or cheap sources for either. That's why I was looking into using jars.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jars are just fine, especially if you use your foodsaver attachment to suck out the air--they're just small, so you need a lot of them to store any amount of anything. :)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought about ten 7 gallon buckets from Emergency Essentials and some of those metalized food storeage bags because I wanted to organized my pantry (formally known as my tv room) and because I do tend to buy things in bulk. I really think if you buy stuff like that, storing them in these large containers would be best. Small amts, would be fine in a mason jar. Actually I think that maybe I should do that too. My sister is into coupons and I have lots of rice-a-roni from her.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am not knocking buckets. jars, or bottles but for food bought in a local market I use plastic Totes [the ones that will seal like tupperware and Space bags. Unless I know the store container/packaging wastes lots of dead space I just pack them in along with some sicilia gel to asorb noisture. pull a vacuum and I am done. Going on 3 years now and no problems when last checked the end of March.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't live in a humid climate (for all Oregon's rain the humidity in the air is usually fairly low), so my main worry with dry goods is pests. Any dry beans/peas/lentils, as well as grains and dried fruit goes in the freezer for a few days to kill any "hitch hikers ;)), and then into a glass jar (bulk buys into plastic buckets). For the most part I don't even use the food saver attachment to get the air out, as I store in many different sized jars. I use mason jars, and remove the air, for high oil things like nuts, but not for everything. Some things I keep refrigerated - brown rice, and any non-whole grain (cornmeal = 'fridge, whole dry corn = shelf). I have had good success with this (perhaps a little haphazard) method. So long as I remember to freeze things for a few days, and keep everything in mouseproof containers, I haven't had trouble with pests.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Containers are containers, just be sure they are safe--one thing that I am always sure to beware of when I store food, is that the containers I'm using are food-safe--especially if plastic, or if the container has been used before. The release chemicals used on mould for non-food safe plastic are not the same as those used for food containers, and can be toxic/leach toxins into your food from the container. The enemies of food preservation are enzymes, moulds, bacteria, light, vermin, moisture, and heat--in the simplest of terms. If you can exclude all of these from acting on your stored food, it will last longer :)

KimV

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. One last thing (I just want to make sure I have this in my head right)... ok two.

When I purchase dry goods at the store (beans, rice, flour, sugar, etc), I can

1: store them as is for normal use.

2: repackage them in a vaccum (foodsaver, oxygen absorber), for longer storage.

3: process them (by oven canning or freezing) to eliminate any "creepy crawly" and then package them for long term.

So... option #2 is just suspending the products in the vacuum until I open them, at which point the creepy crawly potential might still be there... do I have that right? I've read a lot about oven canning being "not safe", but if the point is to kill any potential for bugs on a product that's already been preserved (dried/dehydrated), wouldn't that be ok?

Thanks, I don't want to spend the time and money to put things up only to find their unusable in a time of need.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kim, I have a lot of dry goods stored in canning jars. I put them in, put the lids on, and stash them in the freezer for a few days. That kills any unseen critters or eggs. Then I take them out and store them in the pantry. It's that easy. I don't bother with oven canning, but if it's possible I don't see why you couldn't do it that way.

Latest posts