Canning Suggestions

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
About 15 years ago a young wife canned for the first time. That next spring her husband got deathly sick. The health department come into her house and tested all kinds of things. They discovered it was something the young wife canned. The husband recovered and they looked into her trying to commit murder. How she is on a list, that if her canning ever gets anyone else sick that she will be looked at trying to murder someone. She will never can again nor will she eat others "home" canned foods.

I guess they look at home canning as a possible lethal weapon.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ridiculous. "A young wife canned for the first time." should have been the first clue and has most likely happened to many a young wife canning for the first time. :rolleyes: Must live in a seriously podunk town if they have her on a "list" as a possible murderess due to poor canning techniques. o_O

Land of Lincoln

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, a first time canner being investigated for possible murder is just crazy to me. Certainly hope my first experience at it doesn't go THAT awry or I'm in trouble.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of those urban tales floating around, lol.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I knew the woman. She is now 35 years old and will not can anything. She won't even talk about it. I said, "but if you learn correctly these things won't happen...". She said, if she ever fed anyone and they got sick and died they would look at her for murder. She said she could never take that chance and would never want to kill someone. She almost did kill her husband. He agree with her. He said he was very very sick in the hospital...

They still live in the same house in north east Pa. very near me...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
she must have REALLY messed up that batch! If done correctly, home canned food is perfectly safe. That's why directions are included with pressure canners. That's why there are books about canning.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Manslaughter maybe...but not outright murder. ;) She certainly sounds like someone who shouldn't be canning anyway, so it's most likely a blessing that she's too scared to do so now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This is so crazy, but I can believe it. I have seen first hand how people can blow things out of proportion. In her defence, it's easy to mess up with food and get sick. Been there. I got food poisoning twice, once from a milky drink (one of many) I bought at a shop and it was produced by Parmalat, if memory serves. So it shows you even huge companies can mess up ;)

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes but the big companies get in trouble if someone dies.... This husband didn't die but they said if he gets it again, or dies, they will look into it was intentional.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Must be city cops. Country po po would know that first time canners can make mistakes and let it go at that. They can't threaten someone, banning them from home canning. :rolleyes: If the man knows he's eating home canned foods and the wife made him sick before with it, and he gets sick again, are they going to put that man in the psych ward for attempted suicide? :rolleyes: Nope.

I think this lady likes to over dramatize the situation and get attention from it...or she needs to move, as it sounds like she's living in a communist country. ;)

Latest posts