Canning Supplies

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was at Walmart today and they had the Ball regular mouth jars with lids in pints, and the quart size in regular mouth and wide mouth on the shelves. I got some regular mouth quart and 4( which were all of them) cases of the regular mouth pints. Still no just the lids yet, but hopefully soon.
Trying to stock up for the idiocracy that more than likely will happen next week. Also have read stories about an uptick again in panic buying because of the virus numbers going up.
Several Youtube channels I watch concerning prepping all are stating that there will be a food shortage at some point, but it will happen. Im buying canned goods as well as canning what I can to keep stocked.
Im also considering buying a greenhouse because of the Grand Solar Minimum that suppose to last until 2057. If anyone knows a good place to get one and that will also set it up for you, let me know. Better safe than sorry and kicking yourself for not getting it while you could.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our Walmart has regular mouth jars (with rings and lids) at least half of the time I've looked for 'em. I haven't bought anymore partly because I have quite a few and partly because I prefer the wide mouth. Maybe I should...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've discovered that an unheated greenhouse isn't really much different from just covering your rows in the garden, it just lets you get at the plants more easily. A rule of thumb is that every layer of protection over your plants counts as one planting zone- so if you have an unheated greenhouse in zone 5, it's like zone 6 inside. If you use a greenhouse plus a low tunnel inside the greenhouse, it's closer to zone 7 under the hoops.

Another tip for unheated greenhouses: If you get one that has a rounded roof, like a high hoop tunnel, snow can pile up on top and possibly cause damage. Placing a string of Xmas lights (the little ones, not the big old fashioned type)- especially red lights, will create just enough heat to melt the inner layer of snow and allow it to slide off the roof.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Elliott Coleman says that every layer provides 1.5 zones of protection. Here in 4B, with a poly tunnel, and mulch, I have wintered over greens very well. If I can keep the rodents out of my greenhouse, I can have greens until Thanksgiving, then start up enjoying them around end of Feb. Compare this to my neighbors: Typically, they plant on Memorial Day, (though they could plant peas by Mid April IF they did not TILL THEIR SOIL) And they wind their gardens up with first fall frost which can occur as early as Sept 10. @Rammy : Greenhouses may be back ordered due to the prepping frenzy. If so, You can put up a reasonable high tunnel (this is what an UNHEATED GREENHOUSE Technically is) with a couple of cattle panels and some PT 2 x 4's, and some greenhouse poly. You could even make do with construction plastic, but it won't last more than a year, while the greenhouse poly will last 4 years.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Why should you not til a garden to plant peas? I always did and have had no problem. Does it do something to the soil if you do?
I have considered doing the cattle panel greenhouse. Thanks for the info.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've discovered that an unheated greenhouse isn't really much different from just covering your rows in the garden, it just lets you get at the plants more easily. A rule of thumb is that every layer of protection over your plants counts as one planting zone- so if you have an unheated greenhouse in zone 5, it's like zone 6 inside. If you use a greenhouse plus a low tunnel inside the greenhouse, it's closer to zone 7 under the hoops.

Another tip for unheated greenhouses: If you get one that has a rounded roof, like a high hoop tunnel, snow can pile up on top and possibly cause damage. Placing a string of Xmas lights (the little ones, not the big old fashioned type)- especially red lights, will create just enough heat to melt the inner layer of snow and allow it to slide off the roof.
It hardly ever snows here but thats a good tip to remember about the lights.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is a good time to buy those lights with Christmas decorations out. I've used white in my barn for a gentle light when foaling or kidding season...not heat LOL.

I'm in zone 7 so most any greenhouse works for keeping cole crops going in most years. I'd like one for starting early more than most else. I'm about halfway there with what things I need to build one. Slowly getting there. Can't see ever popping for cost of pro one. :oops: we get rare, light snow.

I am of the opinion that the food chains will be seeing some shortages or disruptions, again. Grow your own! Prices have been increasing for a while. Heck, even seeds are sometimes tough to get for favs! Certainly pricier. Save your seed! I'm pretty good with jars, ample lids for now but will order a supply of lids when available to buy reasonably.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only the Bi-mart down in Aberdeen has had jars. Winco did have a small amount of regular lids in. I didn't buy any. I'm good for next year.

Mom gave me all her regular mouth jars. She gave one of her brothers all the wide mouth. I also ended up with the odd old jars.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am experimenting with an unheated greenhouse in zone 3b/4a. We had a cold spell with 20 degree overnights. We had snow, so We banked snow about halfway up the sides and kept the top clear of snow. It worked well enough! There are some frost-tolerant greens growing in there. Still alive... Not expecting much from them. I mostly want to figure out at what temperatures I can start seeds in spring. My greenhouse is sitting on a cement block patio, but I don't know if that makes a difference for retaining heat.