Canning Supplies

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Great gift!! Of course, there's no moving something that size for me....weight and fear of dropping. :old I haven't seen that many canning supplies in a group since last winter! Glad things are getting in stock. Lids will be about the only thing I'll want in spring. Good now. Will probably buy a few dz jars just to add to current stock. I suspect some of those jars will be from yard sales. :lol::lol:. Those who have changed their minds.

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My key to canning supplies is off season buying. A group of us get together an order and place it direct to Newell. Our order comes right out of the Ball warehouse. Last time we as a group placed over an $8000 order. Looks like this time it might hit $12000 or more as there are a few more interested. I hope the order goes through this winter as warehouse is still low when we last talked to them

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last time we as a group placed over an $8000 order. Looks like this time it might hit $12000 or more as there are a few more interested. I hope the order goes through this winter as warehouse is still low when we last talked to them
Wow - that's great! Ya'll must be a large group. Really nice when folks can work together like that!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Fixit I have often thought to order for a group. Here, I'd be footing the whole bill because not enough serious canners to even make a group. Well there may be several but many are not part of any group that is organized enough. Easier to do only for self.

When I was a teen you saw things like sewing circles....maybe some now and I just don't know them. Have considered working up a flyer to take to the goat auction to see if any people are interested. Unless a good discount, can't see any participation. Certainly not the amounts you suggest! That is a HUGE order.

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some things are not that great of saving . About $2 a case on pints and $2.50 a case on quarts saved. Usually about $4 a case on 1/2 gallons an major saving on lids by buying the sleeved unprinted lids. This is compared to local pricing not ball list price.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I shall revive this ol thread,

My father and Bubbles where canning pickled zucchini and recently purchased some kexle canning lids and almost every one warped or creased in the pressure canner. The older kerr lids in the same canner did not. Anyone else see this themselves?