Canning Supplies

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Lots of reports of even Ball lids buckling this summer. I canned over 400 jars, had no buckles, but maybe 20 failure to seal.

My experience was the rubber was thinner and there were minor quality control issues

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I shall revive this ol thread,

My father and Bubbles where canning pickled zucchini and recently purchased some kexle canning lids and almost every one warped or creased in the pressure canner. The older kerr lids in the same canner did not. Anyone else see this themselves?

I've only used Ball or Kerr lids so I couldn't say.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Buckling is an issue this year, even for Ball. Farm store had a sign posted saying to not turn the rings so tight to prevent buckling. Seems reasonable, since some people have high percentage buckle and others have none. I suspect it is ring tightness

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tighten the rings finger tight - for my husband I tell him that would mean USE ONLY YOUR FINGERTIPS to tighten it down, do not let your palm touch the jar at all. He tends to crank down on stuff like there is no tomorrow. He actually has made a permanent dent in the seal of his ARTIC insulated cup from tightening it down so hard. He cranks down so hard that I cannot get the lid of - so I don't wash it, lol.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

i would not use silicone lids. never heard of the brand or the issue before of lids warping, but i also don't pressure can.

almost all lids we used this year we bought last season and they were Ball brand lids. price was higher than i'd have liked to have spent, but ... we ended up using about 14 boxes of lids and a fair number of boxes of regular lids had one extra lid in the box. yes, i counted several times because i was suprised. only had one quality control issue where two lids were stuck together. no fails on sealing.