Canning

Missa@#5252

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'd like to start canning has anyone ever used a digital pressure cooker to can in?has anyone had luck with them?thanks for any input

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can cook in a canner, but not can in a cooker. Make sure you have the right one. Cookers cool down too fast. There's also other safety features as cookers don't usually reach as high of pressure. Which is why the electric canner is 3x the cost of the cooker.

Presto has been in the canner business a long time and I'd feel pretty safe with theirs.

That said, all I have is my big All American which goes on a unit. If I didn't do much at once, the Presto Electric one would be nice. I have an electric cooker.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we don't do any pressure canning here (which is a requirement for low acid foods), but otherwise we have canned for most of my life (over 50 years) and Mom's too (over 70 years). we oven can, which is not a recommended process by the govt or many people because of how oven temperatures can vary, but it has always been ok for us and we know what we're doing.

in recent years we're mostly canning tomato chunks and tomato juice - that's our largest food storage crop. everything else we pretty much process and eat or freeze depending upon what it is.

dry beans are my other big crop. onions, peppers, squash, melons and garlic get poked in places too. :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love my electric pressure canner. Canning meals in a jar (soups and stews) is a 90 minute process time, so it is nice that I can load it up after supper and let it go on its own without having to babysit it. In the morning, I remove the jars and let them finish cooling on the counter.
I love that it tells me when it is time to do the next step and that it holds temp as I remove the hot jars, fill them up, and them put them back into the canner.

Latest posts