Canning

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Its self maintaining? I have a gas range at the new place (and at the prior place) so every 10 - 15 min babysitting is a must to turn up, turn down the heat to keep it at 11.
Yep, set it and forget it. Once you pop the pressure regulator on you are free for processing time + 45 minutes or so for the pressure to come down. Really nice for 90 minute processing time!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I usually end up getting it going in the evening after supper. I let it do its business while I sleep, then in the morning I pull out the jars (still warm) and clean the canner up and put it on the shelf for the next time.
I used it for waterbath canning for tomatoes also. Only 20 minutes of processing time, but it was so nice to have the jars in the canner staying warm while I dinked around filling them.

I love that electric canner - glad DH was supportive of me buying it. I hate to spend money, so he kinda talked me into making the leap. The pressure canner that I was using had a bowed out bottom and I was worried about the emergency pressure release valve. It is normal for that little plastic plug to leak steam while the canner builds up to pressure?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not with the electric canner, my old canner is a stovetop, aluminim(?), 7 quart Nesco (I think). It was given to me by my neighbor and is pretty old. I have replaced the sealing ring for it, but the stem for the weight leaks steam around the bottom where it attaches and the little plastic plug (that prevents over pressurization) leaks steam also when it is heating up. Once it is pressurized and the weight is on, it seems to work OK, but I am just worried that the plastic plug will fail and I will have a mess in the kitchen.