Canning....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome Grumpy Pumpkin. Lots of great information around here. stick around a while you will definitely get hooked!!!

Pioneergirl is that really you????

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Okay, so you don't pressure can. How long do you BWB your stuff, and do you do meats without pressure canning?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Well, I stick to jams, jellies and anything pickles so best to ask Beekissed.
Which are super yummy !

Grumpy Pumpkin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, so many super responses in so little time!! Thank you all so much!! I am so addicted to this site now. The information gathered in 16 hours is incredible!! I am curious about the pressure canning vs. water bathing. I assume that means machine vs. boiling. Am I correct? Please excuse me if I am not....

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I think so, if by machine you mean a specific pot. This is the one I bought this summer, and it changed my life http://www.gopresto.com/products/products.php?stock=01781

It took a little getting used to, but now I just go nuts with it. I pressure can everything. Okay, just food, but still.....

I jsut started canning in July, and as of this moment I have close to 700 jars put by. I had to make a catalog of them so that I wouldn't forget. I don't have one big continuous storage area, just some cabinets and under the bed, and two closets, so I needed to know where things were.

I bet if you get a pressure canner you will set yourself and your family up for years to come !

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Okay, so you don't pressure can. How long do you BWB your stuff, and do you do meats without pressure canning?
I do can my meats in this manner. Just started this last year after discussing canning with an old Mennonite lady who does all her canning in a HUGE iron kettle suspended over an outside fire. As she told me about canning all their foods there all these years, even their meats, it dawned on me......why not?

Yeah, pressure canning is probably safer but not foolproof either.

But I wanted to try this and I'm not scared of much, so I did it.

I BWBed my deer meat and chicken last year and it was wonderful! The meat wasn't so mushy or dark and had a great flavor.

My mom was skeptical but she didn't pass judgement. :p She's a vegetarian, so she won't be eating the meat anyway. ;)

IMO, pressure canners are clunky, heavy and scarey...heard too many stories about the accidents that happen with too much pressure. The foods come out mushy and overdone, especially veggies.

If an old Mennonite lady can live to be 93 and feed her whole family with this method, I guess I can also. :D

I boil for 90 minutes.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Your confidence is inspiring. Especially in light of facing a 3 1/2 hour canning process seven times over two days with one pressure canner.

I was so excited to try my carrots tonight, and they were way too soft. Would you do veggies for the same time as pressure canning?