Canning....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't can green beans because I detest them. :p But corn is canned with a slice of green tomato at the top of each jar and I boil for 30-45 min.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee why do you put a sliced green tomato on top of the corn? Is it to add to the acidity or just for flavor? You gotta figure that Mennonite lady who taught you knows what shes doing. So everything that would go in a pressure canner you water bath for 90 minutes???

This would come in handy to know if you did not have a pressure canner and it was lose the meat or boil it. I would take my chances and water bath it as well.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The green tomato adds just enough acid to your corn so that it doesn't turn brown when you can it. It's an old trick my mother always did and her canned corn always tasted like it just came off the cob....crisp and fresh! And kept it's original color....beautiful!

Yes, all my meats get the 90 minutes, but I only do corn for 45 min.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Beekissed said:
I don't pressure can either ...... :hide
Me neither! :p
Me too! Growing up my Ma never used one, but she only canned fruits, jams, pickles, kraut and most veggies with a water bath canner. She never did meat, potatoes, corn or mushrooms. I did try a pressure canner once for green beans, but by the time it got up to pressure and stayed the required time, then cooled down, then too reheat for eating the beans were nearly mush. So I stick with the water bath and have canned this way for 25 years. I have canned beef and chicken broth and spaghetti sauce (Ragu look out) in my water bath and all turned out great. And I don't even use the water bath for my jams, pickles or kraut. Pickles and kraut-put fresh raw ingredients into jar and cover with boiling brine, top with flat lid then screw on ring. In about a month to 6 weeks, they are ready.
I was making jam with powder pectin using the recipe in the box, once jam is in the jars, lids and rings in place I just set them upside down for about 10 min. and they're fine. I always wondered how people would seal jam with wax and use a canner? This year, I experimented alittle with some blueberries, cooking and mashing the fruit then added sugar, boiled for a few minutes and put in a jar-I didn't seal it because it was just one jar for trying something new and it jelled up fine on it's own. Actually I was trying for a syrup, but got jam instead.
If I was a beginner that didn't know much about it and no seasoned canner to help, I'd start with jam using the recipe in the box (canner or not). And get the canners Holy Bible-The Ball Blue Book and only follow all directions to the T. No experiments until I had a few seasons under my belt.

WELCOME TO THE CANNING WORLD-it's awesome and I love it, to get something out of the pantry and can pronounce each and every ingredient in it because I KNOW exactly what's in it because I prolly grew it :celebrate It's also very satisfying when your family and others too say "hey this is great, what brand is this/where did you buy it?" and you can smile and say "Thank you, it's my own recipe-would you like some more?" and they shout "YES"

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed-what size jars do you use for corn for the time 30-45 min? (pints 30-quarts 45? or just around that time for one size?) Now I'm curious and gotta try it. Thank ya :D

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I had been reorganizing my jars and I was just overwhelmed by the sense of gratitude to the Lord for the provision He has made for me. It was right there in front of me, the bounty of it all. And I also felt that connection to the women who went before me, those who cared for their families under some pretty harsh conditions. Conditions that some of the women here are voluntarily reproducing in their lives today. What an honor to know you and to see how YOU honor the traditions of our past.
I know what you mean Ladychef, I call the kids over to my house now and then to learn something new that is old.

A couple weeks ago I was teaching my 21 year old daughter and my daughter in law primitive canning methods. My savvy daughter was sweating and canning when she asked me "Why do we have to learn this anyway?"

I turned to her and said, all of this isn't promised tomorrow. We could be without electricity or running water some day and wouldn't you like to know how to take care of your family if that happens.

I appreciate all the things that the women and men went through to get us here. They must have worried and toiled far more than we in the present ever could. I thank the Lord for caring for them to enable us to be born and pass on the traditions and the knowledge to our kids today.

Latest posts