Cannning JARS?????

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello:
I got a very good deal on end of season canning jars..
and put them in my outside storage..shelving
today...I suddenly thought
good gosh...are they going to be ok if it gets too cold..
they are just bought tight...would they crack if frozen????

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
cheepo said:
Hello:
I got a very good deal on end of season canning jars..
and put them in my outside storage..shelving
today...I suddenly thought
good gosh...are they going to be ok if it gets too cold..
they are just bought tight...would they crack if frozen????
I store lots of food in canning jars in the freezer. They should be just fine. (Note if you store liquids in them make sure you have at least 2 inches of head room or they will break.) :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ditto what bbh said. I freeze foodin them all the time, just make sure there is adequate space for expansion.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like the wide mouth variety for freezing

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My empty jars are stored in an unheated shed same as mom, grandma, and great grandma did. Never had any break. Just don't take a frozen jar and put it in hot water, or vice versa. Sudden temperature changes can break glass.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We store alot of jars in MILs basement. Oh yea it gets cold in there. But none have cracked.

I do not put glass in my freezer. I did it before and had some breaks so now I shy clear of it. Just me.

and edited to say: :welcome

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a couple of boxes of new jars this year, and was surprised to see that they now ship with the rings and lids on top of the jars, as opposed to separate like back when I had bought jars in the past. It gets really cold here, and I'm sure they don't heat the trucks they ship that kind of thing on, so they survive into the -40s around here with no problems--with the lids on. I've left boxes of jars (without lids on) out in my unheated garage through all 4 seasons, so they've baked and frozen alternately--sometimes in the same week around here!

Mason jars are built tough to withstand the high heat of water bath and pressure canning, and also freezer temps, so I can't see a problem with where you store them :)

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thank you...
I won't worry then...
42 dozen Is quite a few to try and find another spot for..
mariame and farmer chick...thank you 4 your kindness...but it is My zanya
was having problem with the log in...and support gave me this log in...
oh well

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Big Brown House may just know what he is talking about. Water on average expands10% by volume. A quart jar will expand from 32 ounces to 35 ounces thus breaking or numbing the jar. Leaving a 10% head space is good sense but will not always work as water can also freeze in thermocline plugs long before the whole container will freeze and can also break a jar even being half full.