can't find..how to make fabric softner sheet for dryer

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
am now out of dryer sheets..want to go "no chemicals" can you republish this..some one used a sponge dipped in ? and that went into the dryer...or could use a wash cloth...help thank you in advance....G

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Would you consider not using anything at all? I haven't used dryer sheets for nigh on 8 yrs now...I've found that the homemade detergent doesn't leave the clothes stiff like other detergents, nor is there any static when using the homemade detergent. The clothes come out smelling like cloth...just cloth. Nothing else.

Another way to get softer clothes is to place white vinegar in the rinse water or to use dryer balls.

Sorry I couldn't help about the other thingy...hadn't heard of it.

Rapid falls farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't use fabric softener either. And more often than not, I don't use the dryer.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most of our clothes are cotton so they don't need the dryer sheets for anti static. I only use one with the socks, so a box lasts forever. I love vinegar in the rinse. Helps with any odors as well.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most of the time, I'm back to some kind of fabric softener. DH had an accident years ago that left him with NO sense of smell except for some things...like orange, peppermint, cucumber, watermelon and vinegar. Makes no sense, huh.
Anyway, I have used the 1 cup of cheapo hair conditioner plus 1/1/2 cup white vinegar and 2-3 cups of water. Works pretty good. If you want to use it like a sheet, just add a bit to a designated washcloth and throw it in the dryer. I have also used it very diluted (one part homemade softener and 5 - 6 parts water) in a spray bottle and lightly misted clothes that were already hanging (works well to remove wrinkles).
The side benefit of keeping some of this diluted mix in a spray bottle is that you can mist your dust cloth - picks up dust AND leaves it with an antistatic effect. I did the side by side thing on a table and after two or three days, there still was no dust on the diluted fabric softener side whereas the other side had a definite film of dust.

Chelsea2258

Power Conserver
Reaction score
am now out of dryer sheets..want to go "no chemicals" can you republish this..some one used a sponge dipped in ? and that went into the dryer...or could use a wash cloth...help thank you in advance....G
Wool dryer balls. They last forever!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have very hard water and found that throwing a handful of salt into the water and using homemade laundry detergent really makes a difference. I line dry, and even the towels don't come out as stiff (you line dryers will know what I'm talking about). I also found that the whites stay bright instead of going gray and dingy, although sometimes I will throw in a cup of lemon juice as a bleacher (can't use chlorine because we have a lot of iron too, and chlorine will set a brownish stain into your clothes)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We also have very hard water, but not the iron problem that some have. I have a soak cycle feature on my washer that I'll use for whites. I use hotter water, plus dissolve a Tbsp or two of Borax in some really hot water, then add it to the whites. I think my soak cycle is 2 hours long, seems to make a big difference. Never thought about the lemon juice.