Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
this is a chunkier apple butter than what you get in the store

Caramel Apple Butter

6 Granny Smith apples
6 Red Delicious or other sweet apples
6 T. fresh lemon juice
Fruit Fresh (a citric acid powder that prevents fruit from browning)
3 c. sugar
2 c. apple juice (not cider)
1 tsp real Vanilla extract
2 T. honey
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 T butter

Peel, core and cut the apples into 1" chunks. Toss immediately with the lemon juice and a few shakes of Fruit Fresh.

In a large, heavy pot combine 2 1/2 c. of the sugar with 1/2 c. of apple juice. Cook over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves, boils and turns light brown, a very early stage caramel. This can take 10-15 minutes or longer, depending on how high the heat is.

Add the apples, the remaining juice, and 2 T. of honey. Turn down heat to medium heat, stirring at 20 minute intervals. this could take up to 2 hours! The sweet apples will break down while the Granny Smiths stay pretty chunky, though the chunks will be nice and soft. Cook until the chucks are almost gone but save some bits. Don't take it to the apple sauce stage. Add cinnamon and butter. *I turned the heat to med low and had to cook the apples for another 30 mins to get it to apple sauce with a few bits. I had to add a 1/2 cup water to keep cooking but the water cooked off.

take the remaining 1/2 c. of sugar and a T. of water. Put in a pan and cook over high heat, stirring all the while, until you have a nice dark brown caramel. Go as far as you dare, being careful to stop short of burning the sugar.

Pour the hot dark brown caramel into the apple butter mixture careful, it will erupt though after a few quick stirs it will meld with the apples.

Pour into prepared 1/2 pint jars and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

This recipe made 8 jars.

Edited...cook time for apples

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't like apple butter, but I have so many apples this year, that I am definitely going to try this one. Yum!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this Beanie! Can't wait for my apples to ripen so I can try it!

When do you add the vanilla? At then end, after the caramel has been mixed in?

edited for question

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Thank you for posting this Beanie! Can't wait for my apples to ripen so I can try it!

When do you add the vanilla? At then end, after the caramel has been mixed in?

edited for question
Yep...don't want to boil out the flavor. :)

I made a ton of this today. I could not get the apples to cook down. I ended up putting it in the blender for a few secs to get it smooth. My arm was falling off from stirring.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've made caramel apple butter in the past using caramel candies. I like this idea better - thanks for posting. :thumbsup

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
I've made caramel apple butter in the past using caramel candies. I like this idea better - thanks for posting. :thumbsup
Oooooo! Tell us about that way!!!!

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you!!!!:woot Going to try this one next!!!!
Yeah I don't think I would do those heavy spices...just some cinnamon.