Cast iron or Stainless biggie frying pan?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We got rid of our glass top range about 3 years ago, because you can't do canning on it very well. It takes FOREVER to get a water bath canner pot to boil. That and the fact that I did scratch the top with my skillet, even though I was careful.

Cast iron and gas cooking for me now baby!! :weee

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i would totally burn my house down if i had a gas range. i'm just putting it out there..... i'm old school electric all the way.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
i would totally burn my house down if i had a gas range. i'm just putting it out there..... i'm old school electric all the way.
:gig My GOD we can't have THAT! You just got your new house all set up!!! :gig

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm good with a burnpile but wow... but "live fire" inside?

i'd be just one insurance investigation away to doing 10-15 hard time in The Big House for arson... no one would believe me.

ha!

good ol' bess - my big old stove and i go way back. she's and oldie but a goodie.

;-)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm trying my hardest to ruin that dang glass top stove in my kitchen :he Can't seem to do it without it being obviously intentional. :D I haven't used cast iron much since we moved here because of it.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I'm trying my hardest to ruin that dang glass top stove in my kitchen :he Can't seem to do it without it being obviously intentional. :D I haven't used cast iron much since we moved here because of it.
I finally just told The Wife that we were getting a new stove whether she liked it or not! I do over half the cooking and I was tired of NOT using my cast iron as much as I would like to. She LOVES the new gas oven!

And just for the record ladies, I also do laundry. I do NOT do diapers, however. :tongue

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have cast iron and use a glass top... :idunno Never had any problems... I also use my pressure canner on it even though I'm not supposed to... LOL

I hate how it does take forever to heat up but I love how much easier it is to clean!!!

Oh and for a new skillet get a cast iron!!! I use a stainless for my stock pots...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
We got rid of our glass top range about 3 years ago, because you can't do canning on it very well. It takes FOREVER to get a water bath canner pot to boil. That and the fact that I did scratch the top with my skillet, even though I was careful.

Cast iron and gas cooking for me now baby!! :weee
Yeppers, that's why I convinced the wife to get let me get a propane burner setup. I do my canning in the garage, cuts down on the mess and heat in the kitchen.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I purchased a new cusanart fry pan this past summer and I love it.
It is nonstick and is made of nontoxic glass or ceramic like bottom.

Be sure to use lower heat with it. It does great and you don't even need to add oil to sautee.

Latest posts