Cast Iron

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I have no idea why I thought I couldn’t use cast iron but now I’m excited to get some 🤣

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
if it is textured and a little bumpy that is normal. if you look at the link i posted above you'll see the brand new pan is a bit bumpy, that is ok. it will gradually change through time as it is used and as the seasoning builds up on it.

you can put a tuxedo on a goat, but it is still a goat. cast iron is not stainless steel they're different pans with different uses and IMO shouldn't be treated the same. some overlap for sure, but on the whole i don't use one for the other.

if the issue is how it was used before and it needs to be scrubbed and cleaned up a bit that is a different topic entirely. i can't tell without looking to know what's happened.
I would love to see a goat in a tuxedo :D

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a glass top stove and use cast iron. Just don't drop them. :gig (or slide them)

i think they also recommend that they not be the kind that have the ridge around the edge of the bottom but perhaps that is for induction version ovens or some other reason? i've never had either a glass top stove or an induction stove so i don't know the reasons for what with those other than glass can break if it is too heavy a pot put on them or you drop something on it or scratch it. me i'd probably do all of those things plus others not ever considered. i just do strange things at times completely off the label kinds of uses. "What Mom? Oh, yes, I do need to use this oven door to hold this clamp and chair I'm gluing. Don't touch it until tomorrow, thanks." etc.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have no trouble using cast iron on my glass top burners.

challenge would be to pop popcorn in a cast iron pan. i mean how would you do that and not want to move the pan back and forth to get the kernels to go pop? i guess these days everyone uses microwave popcorn or other gizmos, but some people do like to make popcorn on the stove still. do they have a slight thin mat of some fireproof material that won't scratch the glass that will still let you slide the pan back and forth? copper wool ultra fine? just trying to think this out and i do that by writing... :)

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:yaWell some of my money was returned for the pans that I had a reaction to but I may have said they sent the check in the wrong name. But my bank trusted me and put it through.

This morning they replaced that check with the correct spelling. So I ripped it up and posted a photo too prove I had not cashed it. I lost a fair amount of money and felt cheated but I'm not dishonest and I can live with my conscience.

I almost fainted when the hexclad wrote saying they are giving me a refund as well. :) that was very hard going but they didn't get away with my cash :duc