castrating rabbits

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First of all, I don't even know if this is a good idea. Is castration even needed for meat rabbits? Probably not. My gut tells me it's for suburban rabbits that you let run around your kitchen. Anyway, for curiosity's sake, here's a link to how it's done:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/castration/Castra/Castration.htm

Do you have to follow this procedure for both testicles? Other diagrams seem to show them in separate anatomical compartments. Or can you get both from the same incision.

What about the rubber band technique? I read somewhere that as soon as you finish they go back to eating and pooping... Is that true? I've heard that for cattle it's extremely painful.
Another option, a calcium chloride injection into the testicle. Again, do you know how the rabbit's behavior changes? Do they experience discomfort?

The point of all this is that anesthitizing a rabbit isn't something you can easily do in your garage. Or is it? I don't know. Otherwise, the surgery itself seems straightforward.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
its 2 separate sacs with a rabbit so you have to make 2 insicions or, if banding, band each testicle seperatly.
heres the problem with rabbit castration...male rabbits have the ability to "suck" their testicles back into the body cavity, so short of anesthetizing it can be difficult to "catch the ball" so to speak lol.
and no, its ot easy to anesthetize a bunny even dangerous at a vets office, they are pretty delicate and their hearts seem to give out at the first chance.

ive got a frined who "neuters" her male growouts, and she bands...she says it takes 3 people, 1 to hold the bunny, 1 to "secure" both testicles so he doesn't suck em up and 1 to band the testicle (each has to be banded seperatly) her buns seem to haveno ill effect afterwards beyond a little weird walking for a few hours and shes had no issues...
personally ive never tried it...my boys are either intact and working...or in the freezer lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why would anyone do this other than a house pet? Rabbits for meat don't live long enough to let testicles become a problem. Interesting article though.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
id assume its the same as Caponizing a rooster...you can let them grow larger/longer without worrying about hormones and such and thus able to keep large pens of males together with no fighting while they reach a larger size without getting as tough...
my frined does it however as she raies chinchilla rabbits and hrvests them late (8 months) as she not only usd the meat but wants a prime adult hide. (swhich is an adult winter hide) so she castrates all her males so they can all live in large mobile tractors together with the females ect, (something not typically possible with mature intact male rabbits as not only would they breed their sisters theyd eventually kill eachother if neer intact females)
when processing time comes she say the meat I a little more tender thanan intact 8 motnh old and the hide...which on an intackt male becomes hard to remove after about the 12 week mark) comes off nice and clean with no issues...

so theres definatly bonuses to it if your raising on a large scale and keeping them longer than average butcher time for meat alone...
but its definatly more work than id like...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, that is a good explanation of why to castrate a rabbit. Never would have thought of that!