Casualities of the economy

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband got laid off yesterday. He is in construction and the job was supposed to last through Feb. originally. It can be difficult to get a new construction job at this time of the year. Then I talked to my sister and her husband got laid off yesterday also. They told him on Mon. they were going to have a meeting Wed. and because of the way the election went they couldn't keep him. He teaches companies to use their new computer systems. His job was supposed to last through May. She is also worried her job might be cut because of less business.

Are a lot of people losing their jobs now?

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's been going on for a while now. Businesses are having to cut back on their employees because people have less money to spend and support those businesses. It's a vicious circle. We are really struggling right now because my husband (firefighter/paramedic) is injured and his disability ran out so the city of course, stopped paying him. It's been a long time since I have had to work, but I am going to be filling out applications next week.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
That is really bad news. Jobs here seem to be ok, but I know in Windsor, things are pretty scary. The big three are there, and it is not looking good there. Besides having Ford, Chrysler, and GM, there are alot of factories that supply automotive parts and they are cuittng back too. Tool and die shops have pretty much been done for the last three years.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I'm so sorry your family is dealing with this. In our area, it is chroniclly depressed so the change has not been so great as I've heard other people report.
But we have had one department store (Mervyn's) close, one furniture store, one newspaper and the pulp mill closed which is serious to our small community.

I hope that your area recovers soon.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for your concern. The bad thing about this is that we live in a prosperous area. And my sister lives in a prosperous area of Chicago. I would rather live way out in the country but we live on the edge of the suburbs so my husband has access to work. I wish I could earn a living with my chickens! :lol:

Sorry for everyone else going through this too. It is so scary and it keeps getting worse.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just wanted to add... Sorry to hear about your plight. I do know how it feels and I hope your husband is able to find more work soon! I'm with you, I wish I wasn't in the city so that I could try to make a living off of our chickens and goats.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is a very scary time for all of us. I feel for you and your family. I don't see things getting better soon though. I lost my job in the early 90's and was so worried about everything too. I went on unemployment and that stunk. I decided that since I couldn't find a job I went to school. It was hard and money was tight but it was a blessing in disguise. Now my earnings are four times better and I have a degree under my belt.

I know you are worried. Times will be hard for you, I know, but maybe you can look in another direction now where before you couldn't see. Good luck Woodland Woman. I will pray for your family. Maybe you will get the chance for that house in the country now...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am right there with you WW
Tony is on layoff with a "few" days of pulling work to let other employees get in their sign up weeks for unemployment...UGH

It is scary. Tony's layoff was just like your hubbys. Supposed to be about Dec...and for a short time, but it started in October...Scary.

And the big thought---will the jobs be there come January for us??? I think so??? Fingers crossed for Tony but who knows??? Companies have it hard.

Vicious cycle definitely.

Being SS I know you can pinch a penny like I am doing. That is why I tackled the elec. bill. To be sure I could just shut things off and get that bill down. Any money saved means less chance of possible catastrophe.

Hang in there and do what you can to make that penny scream..HA HA ...that is what I am doing.

Being a working farm, I have the farmers market this weekend and will make good cash to help me through. The benefits of farming, you truly have something to fall back on when needed. I am lucky.

You take care and I know you are worrying, I am too! :)
We can worry together!! But not too much as life is life and we must keep up our spirits and smile thru it all!~ :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Construction here also.
Hubbys job normally lays off about the end of Dec - begining of Jan. This year it has been work - layoff - work - layoff. Scary.
We will all be here for you if you need us. I am sorry.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do your husbands ever do travelling around construction work? That is what my uncle Craig does. (And my uncle James, cousin Mike, my brother, my cousin Chad & his stepson Chris) They all travel around to industrial construction sites. The work can be intermittent, but it is mostly steady (so far.) And they make enough money that they can afford to be out of work for 4 or 5 months a year.

(When you are working six or seven 12's a week, you don't have time to spend any money anyway. lol) They make quite a respectable income this way.

The downside is they have to travel to where the work is.

I only mention it in case anyone is interested in the contact information of some of these companies that hire experienced construction workers. I'm not sure what skills you need, but they need less skilled people also to be helpers and fire watchers and such.

Can you imagine standing in one spot for 12 hours (with breaks, of course) and not being able to read or anything because you have to actually be looking for fires. My aunt has done fire watching and talked about how boring it is. One of my cousins was doing it and got suspended for sleeping! I commented one time that the only time it was interesting was if something bad happened (like a fire!)

Anyway, just trying to help.

Cassandra