Cat bag taters and to-maters

Sweetened

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Cat... bag.. what?

When DH and I moved to the acreage, we were informed there were many (many) barn cats that were trapped and moved from the property. Ultimately, the home the owners of our acreage moved to was within a 3 mile radius and all of the cats (except one), returned back to our property. This is fine, I love animals and I took on feeding them. For 15 years the local cats have been fed Main Stay (certainly not the best, but it's ideally subsidised with bugs, grass, mice, maybe a carcass of some sort), and this brand of cat food is distributed in woven plastic bags or as I incorrectly call them: plastic burlap.

I try to recycle/repurpose as much as I can. Plant scraps go to the garden (next year to the chickens), meat scraps go to my indoor cats/dog/barn cats, plastic bags re-used, try to buy glass bottles only etc. The recycling programs aren't great where I'm near and they will take this but not that and only if its purple on Wednesday :he . I've heard and read about people repurposing bags like this into portable planters for tomatoes and potatoes because of their depth when they are filld with dirt and stood upright. One of my books mentions the burlap (plastic and fibre) weaving allows enough airflow that the plants don't end up root bound because they sense air and divert growth upward and out. Does anyone have any experience with this? Ever tried it?

I'm also considering trying to find wooden boxes (like pallets, but boxes, sometimes sold with oranges in them), lining them with gardener's cloth and doing the same for radishes, maybe carrots and so on. It would be wonderfully convenient to bring in the boxes full of carrots and tuck them into a dark, cool place to keep them fresh and crispy without needing to throw them into wet sand.

I look forward to hearing about this or similar ideas, maybe even seeing pictures of execution!

Talk soon! I'll try to reply to everyone.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've not tried the cat food bag planters personally, but have a nice stash of them going on (dog/cat/chicken feed bags) in the shed and will definately give planting in them a try this coming Spring!

This would be a great thing to use for transplanting my fruit tree seedlings from their pots to make sure they have healthy root systems before I plant them into their permanent homes! :thumbsup

I've been using them to store shredded leaves but it never occured to me to plant in them! :bow

Thank You! :hugs

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ya, that is a pretty good idea! I don't get them very often, but I've wondered about cutting them apart and using them for 'shade cloth curtains' over the coop windows in the summer. It will only last the one year, but it might work. I still have a stash of landscape fabric that I use for that, but one day it will be gone.

I bet there's a lot of things you could do with that stuff. Hmmmmm

and welcome!

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Sweetened said:
Cat... bag.. what?

When DH and I moved to the acreage, we were informed there were many (many) barn cats that were trapped and moved from the property. Ultimately, the home the owners of our acreage moved to was within a 3 mile radius and all of the cats (except one), returned back to our property. This is fine, I love animals and I took on feeding them. For 15 years the local cats have been fed Main Stay (certainly not the best, but it's ideally subsidised with bugs, grass, mice, maybe a carcass of some sort), and this brand of cat food is distributed in woven plastic bags or as I incorrectly call them: plastic burlap.

I try to recycle/repurpose as much as I can. Plant scraps go to the garden (next year to the chickens), meat scraps go to my indoor cats/dog/barn cats, plastic bags re-used, try to buy glass bottles only etc. The recycling programs aren't great where I'm near and they will take this but not that and only if its purple on Wednesday :he . I've heard and read about people repurposing bags like this into portable planters for tomatoes and potatoes because of their depth when they are filld with dirt and stood upright. One of my books mentions the burlap (plastic and fibre) weaving allows enough airflow that the plants don't end up root bound because they sense air and divert growth upward and out. Does anyone have any experience with this? Ever tried it?

I'm also considering trying to find wooden boxes (like pallets, but boxes, sometimes sold with oranges in them), lining them with gardener's cloth and doing the same for radishes, maybe carrots and so on. It would be wonderfully convenient to bring in the boxes full of carrots and tuck them into a dark, cool place to keep them fresh and crispy without needing to throw them into wet sand.

I look forward to hearing about this or similar ideas, maybe even seeing pictures of execution!

Talk soon! I'll try to reply to everyone.
Do they still make those wooden orange crates? I would have thought you'd need to go antiquing to find one of those! :D

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne,

These bags block the sun but from my experience they won't allow any significant air flow to windows. I do use the bags for winter protection on the guinea coop which is NNE facing up in the ventilation area. This area is out of full sun and I've used the same bags for 2 winters.

If these bags are exposed to the sun (in the South, from my experience) they will slowly dry-rot. I've got a bag stapled on the south-side of the guinea coop to help keep their waterer cooler in the summer and it lasted 1 year, as of last summer (hotter than 4377) it's totally degrading ...but it was a free fix and the birds are not showing signs of wanting to eat it as it flakes off into their run every time I brush up against it and "said" bag sheds. ;)

When I try this for tree seedling plantings, they'll be shaded and should last longer! :fl

Sweetened

Power Conserver
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
Do they still make those wooden orange crates? I would have thought you'd need to go antiquing to find one of those! :D
They do! I saw some a few months ago at a Safeway store, but at that time it never dawned on me. Antique stores are great thinking... I wonder what they'd charge for those!

I've also seen people use old metal canisters, barrels, tool bins, antique coffee tins and so on. I want to re-purpose without being tacky and look like I've stuck dirt in garbage and hoped for the best. That makes sense... right? It's possible too...... right?

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I think it's possible! But speaking of garbage, I saw a posting somewhere (maybe on TEG) about growing potatos in black garbage bags. And also using old tires stacked on each other. I'll look for the post...

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any ol' container will work for growing a lot of stuff. I saw pics of someone's black trash bag potato harvest. I bet they they had over 20 lbs. in that one bag. In my location, the plants would cook before harvest.
I bet cheeriolounge and I read the same post/thread. I remember the tire stack also, and someone complaining that the spuds would taste like tires. :D

Thanks for the info, Dawn!