cat food

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So my boyfriend got my son a cat and I was looking at the ingredients on his cat food which just scares me. I'm the kind of person that if I wont feed my family that quality of food why would I feed my animals it. So I'm thinking of making food for the cat. I've made cat food before for my cat that I had growing up but I cant use the same recipe just because I don't have axes to the same ingredients. But the recipe was approx.
1 lb salmon cooked
1 lb tilapia cooked
1 lb elk cooked
1 lb beef cooked
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups frozen peas
1 cup grated carrots
mix all ingredients and freeze in 1/4 cup pucks heat until warm and serve to your deserving kitty
Edited to fix recipe

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, my cat would LOVE you forever. She and I are currently fighting over food. She wants JUST tinned food. I'm offering tinned as a treat and kibble as main. Problem is if she eats only the tins, she's greedy and eats way too much.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Makes sense - halibut is pretty pricey around here!
It's pricey here to. When we were making this food my uncles and grandparents sent the fish when they went to Alaska for vacation. They just didn't know we where using some of the fish for cat food

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I hate to be a habitual naysayer, but I feel obligated to say the above recipe is not safe nor balanced for long term feeding. If your cat is also hunting, particularly eating mice, then s/he is likely to be okay (but then also monitor for parasites like tapeworms).

I prefer homemade pet foods, but haven't had the time or energy to calculate complete safe diets for my dog in several years. I have seem dogs die from incorrectly formulated homemade food, so I have a particular passion on the topic.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now you've got me curious. Not trying to be confrontational in the least - cuz I'm not a cat person anyway. But, what is it in mice that would provide more balance? My dogs are pretty good ratters - but they don't eat them. Okay, that's not exactly true - they'll eat the little bitty baby ones - but they don't eat a grown rat at all. (I don't blame them!)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried making my own dog food. For a very brief period of time. My lazy couch potato mutt was fine. My energetic Alano just dropped weight no matter how much I fed her, and how hard I tried. I love the idea, but didn't work for me at all. Not to mention finding as much meat as I needed was going to get pricey and hugely time consuming!