Cat question

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Whoa. It would be over $200 here for a male, I can't imagine what it would be for a female.
seriously!?!? wow!

my vet knows that we have our own rescue..and that we do as many feral cats as we can catch. she gives us a huge deal - fixed, flead, shots, AND tested for under $100 each. males or females.

sounds like you've got some real winners, Java! They wont soon forget hunting. no cat in the county is better fed than our Shine and wow what a hunter. actually, except for my old lady cat and my bottle baby, all of our cats are great hunters.

once, a chase was on and i actually got up on a chair (yes i know LAME) and Peeper (my raised by hand bottle baby) got up on it with me. Nicholas had that mouse in his mouth in a hot second. of course there was a lot of screaming because "THAT'S MY NICHOLAS GET THAT HORRIBLE THING OUT OF HIS MOUTH"

that mouse actually thought he was safe until he was thrown to the marauding horde of chickens.... the horrible little screams.. i cant shake it....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those high neutering costs are why some folks here in the mountains just band their cats with a lamb sized band. Cheap if you don't want to invest money into a cat.

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
freemotion said:
Whoa. It would be over $200 here for a male, I can't imagine what it would be for a female.
seriously!?!? wow!

my vet knows that we have our own rescue..and that we do as many feral cats as we can catch. she gives us a huge deal - fixed, flead, shots, AND tested for under $100 each. males or females.

sounds like you've got some real winners, Java! They wont soon forget hunting. no cat in the county is better fed than our Shine and wow what a hunter. actually, except for my old lady cat and my bottle baby, all of our cats are great hunters.

once, a chase was on and i actually got up on a chair (yes i know LAME) and Peeper (my raised by hand bottle baby) got up on it with me. Nicholas had that mouse in his mouth in a hot second. of course there was a lot of screaming because "THAT'S MY NICHOLAS GET THAT HORRIBLE THING OUT OF HIS MOUTH"

that mouse actually thought he was safe until he was thrown to the marauding horde of chickens.... the horrible little screams.. i cant shake it....
We found a mouse nest right next to our chicken house. There were a bunch of little babies with their eyes still closed. We gave them to the chickens. It was kind of gross.

Has anyone ever seen Food of the Gods withe the giant chickens that are bigger than people?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We have 3 cats right now. 2 old ladies and a young male. When Cookie was a youngster she was a good hunter. She is going to turn 21 on Sunday. Now she just sleeps in the sun a lot. She earned her retirement. Xena is 14 and fat. She doesn't chase or kill anything either, but when she was young and more energetic, she used to keep the raccoons away from my son's ground floor apartment. Zeus is only 2. He is sleek, healthy and a great hunter. He loves chasing anything that moves. The other day he left a dead mouse for me by my chair. :sick He has brought my husband birds before too. We tell him he is a brave, handsome boy and try not to gross out as we dispose of the bodies.

One of THE BEST hunter cats I ever knew was a little runt female who was declawed. She was abandoned by her owner because she was pregnant. This little thing had 5 kittens in a storm drain by my old job. We tried to catch her because we were afraid she was going to get washed away. It took us 2 weeks to get her and all her babies. During the time we watched her, she was bringing full grown rabbits back to her den to feed the babies that were bigger than her!

When we finally caught her, she was fat and sassy and so where all the kittens. She mellowed out in no time and became a beloved pet of one of my coworkers. She also took 2 of the kittens. One was an awesome hunter like mom and the other was a lap cat :D

I guess my point is that either males or females can be awesome hunters. You never really know.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't believe that they don't have some type of spay/neuter program in your area, Free. That is a shame. I thought my vet was high but they don't charge $200 for a neuter.

I'm thankful for LifeSavers Spay & Neuter around here. It is only $40 for a neuter and $50 for a spay for cats and it is $70-$100 to neuter a dog (depending on size) and $100-$115 to spay a dog. This includes a rabies shot and deworming. http://www.spayneuterservice.org/

OFG - isn't RASCAL Unit around you? They are supposed to be a low cost spay/neuter in the Columbus area. Here is the website: http://www.rascalunit.org/RascalUnit/Home_Page.html

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we found our vet thru Kittens Unlimited. they do great work around here. but apparently anyone can just bring a feral cat to my vet to be fixed. she doenst even charge some folks.

we are such suckers. whenever we show up to the vet the gal behind the counter yells to the coworkers in the back "bring out the kittens!"

ha!

all y'all with your 2 or 3 cats.. amateurs! hee hee hee hee
;-)

WZ -my old lady cat just turned 20. i was sure she was gonna die this summer - she had some horrible infection. i'll be darned if she didnt beat it. she's out in the living room in a sunny spot glaring at the younger cats.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My male neutered cat fixed at 8 or 10 weeks sprayed all the time.
But if your making them outside cats whats the difference?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our vet used to loan out traps for free for people to catch feral cats and bring them in. He would spay the adult females. I think they got re-released. I am not sure about adult males. But the took in all kittens and fostered them in homes until they were tame, treated them for any illness they might have, and adopted them out for around $25 or $30, which included spay/neuter, rabies shots, all first year vaccinations, and free vet care for a year, including all medications.

I think he was really doing all he could, even at a financial loss, to cut down on the feral population and get kittens in homes. It was certainly the only way I felt I could afford two more cats at that time. Too bad he charged me full price for the feral I rescued myself, which was $65 to neuter. He was a great vet tho, and his staff was very helpful.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But if your making them outside cats whats the difference?
It makes no difference at all to me. DH on the other hand :rolleyes: I'm not even going to try to figure it out. Probably something his dad said once :rolleyes::rolleyes: