Cat question???

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are curriuos??? One of our monster cats farts a lot. Boy, do they stink!! Especially when we really start to pet him and he loves the petting too. We are wondering if this is a digestion issue?? If so, what is he remedy for this??

We know this might be a eating problem. We are curious what we could do to ease the farting til we work out the food, diet or maybe medical issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Our kitty isn't gassy, but I think it is because he eats low carb. ;)

Back in the past when I was in college and broke, my kitty(s) ate cheap cat food and boy did they toot! :sick

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I would suggest a grain free diet.
Its not natural for a cat to eat grains ;)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I would imagine it could be diet. What does kitty eat? It might not be agreeing with him.

I do find my dogs have worse gas when they eat the higher quality food, not sure why. I do have one certain cat that seems to have more gas than the others but it is still occasional.

I'd try switching foods and see if that helps.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you all very much.

We do Friskies. We have never had a problem til this little monster and his brother arrived. :) HOLLY SMOKE DO THEY STINK. Nothing like petting him and then all of a sudden I need fresh air. :)
He's a great cat. We nicknamed him Stink Bum. HIs real name is Smudgie and his brother is Pudgie. Same litter. Love 'em great loving cats. :)

I'm going to try changing the diet first. Non grain. I like the idea of that too.

Thank you all again.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Smudgie! We have a cat named Smudge. And another Smidgen. Is yours a cow kitty as well? Smudge was named for his spots.

I'd try something other than Friskies, that might help.

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they eat meat, and only meat. Most cat foods have added fillers, such as vegetables, and cats will not digest it. Cheaper cat food is often the problem of gas, but not always. Besides changing to an all-meat diet, you can also try added natural fiber to the diet.

Another consideration is - yuck, I know - anal gland impaction. Particularly if you just notice the odor when you're petting... could be that you notice it then because you are close, and the cat may turn his booty toward you for petting. I would recommend having a vet check, see if they need "expressing"... it's possible to do this yourself, but *be careful* - the stink stays with you if it makes contact.

I know next to nothing about homeopathic care or herbal remedies, but I googled this: http://www.nativeremedies.com/petal...kbid&ysmchn=affiliate&ysmcpn=kbid&ysmgrp=6725 . Scroll to the bottom and see the ingredients, you may find something to help.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Smudgie! We have a cat named Smudge. And another Smidgen. Is yours a cow kitty as well? Smudge was named for his spots.

I'd try something other than Friskies, that might help.
Smudgie is a grey black white cow
cat. :) The name really came becuase of the smudge on his nose. IT just stick out at ya. Pudgie lived right up to his name. :) He has the cutest round face and always find him in the cat food back even when there is food in his bowl. He still wools a bit but less and less as the months go by. Smudgie doesn't wool

About the anal glands. All clear. No signs of problem with that. I looked that one up too. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1322&aid=509

Thank you all So nice to find loving people who care. We so love cats and they know it too. :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Mine has a nose smudge and we just had to name him that. Then when we got Smidgen, she matches him so perfectly, we had to have her name match his. At one point we had a third cow kitty but unfortunately a coyote got him. :(

It takes awhile for their bodies to adjust to new foods, give it like a month to see the full effect of the change. I used to work for veterinarians and they would always remind people of that when suggesting a food change, and to do it gradually.

Anal glands are GROSS! :sick Good thing to know about though.